The Student Room Group

Girls - What qualities do you find intimidating in a man?

Subject says it all. What do you find intimidating and what would your reaction be.

Tried to set up a friend with an uni acquaintance a while back. It went well at first then she got back with her ex, confusing as my friend earns 60k a year, big ripped and tall fella, very intelligent/eloquent and hilarious sense of humour.

The ex is just some weedy guy with a crappy job and not a particular memorable personality. Typical beta.

Intimidation is the only logical conclusion I can come to. What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OP, are you the "friend"?
Original post by Jebedee
Subject says it all. What do you find intimidating and what would your reaction be.

Tried to set up a friend with an uni acquaintance a while back. It went well at first then she got back with her ex, confusing as my friend earns 60k a year, big ripped and tall fella, very intelligent/eloquent and hilarious sense of humour.

The ex is just some weedy guy with a crappy job and not a particular memorable personality. Typical beta.

Intimidation is the only logical conclusion I can come to. What are your thoughts?

Perhaps this girl appreciates more in a person than just money and good looks. Maybe she actually cares about connecting with someone on a personal level, rather than whether or not someone is alpha/beta.
Reply 3
Perhaps you and the girl see your friend in a completely different way? Did you happen to think of that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
she probably thought your pal was a ****
Reply 5
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
OP, are you the "friend"?

Nope, I'm short and I'm currently an unemployed student. My friend came to visit and was interested in a girl he saw on my fb, so I tried to set something up. They did go on a date and apparently it went very well.

Original post by Vikki1805
Perhaps this girl appreciates more in a person than just money and good looks. Maybe she actually cares about connecting with someone on a personal level, rather than whether or not someone is alpha/beta.

Granted, but I already addressed personality here.

Original post by arkhamz
Perhaps you and the girl see your friend in a completely different way? Did you happen to think of that?

Facts are facts, one is outgoing and funny while the other is....just mediocre. I met both so I think it's a fair conclusion.
Reply 6
Some girls don't like "nice guys", maybe it's just a matter of preference ?
Reply 7
Maybe she cares less about the greek alphabet and more about how someone makes her feel.
Reply 8
Original post by Jebedee
Nope, I'm short and I'm currently an unemployed student. My friend came to visit and was interested in a girl he saw on my fb, so I tried to set something up. They did go on a date and apparently it went very well.

Granted, but I already addressed personality here.

Facts are facts, one is outgoing and funny while the other is....just mediocre. I met both so I think it's a fair conclusion.

Being outgoing doesn't necessarily mean someone's going to pick the person over someone less outgoing. Attraction can work in funny ways.
Reply 9
Original post by nria79
Some girls don't like "nice guys", maybe it's just a matter of preference ?

Nice is the last word I would use to describe him but the ex on the other hand sure is. Which kinda contradicts everything I've known to be true in the world of dating.

I have a sneaky suspicion the girl in question is afraid to date above herself. I know some girls really can't handle the thought of being the less attractive one in the couple. So I'm curious do any of the girls on TSR fall under this category?
Perhaps she's settling, the ex might be a safe bet.
Reply 11
Original post by McFlury
she probably thought your pal was a ****

Must be why she was groping him in the bar then.
you make it sound like it's a good thing. Who wants to be unapproachable? I certainly don't. Money isn't everythign either to women, although many are attracted to status and success.
Reply 13
Original post by Jebedee
Must be why she was groping him in the bar then.

Yeh cos physical attraction/lust must mean he's got a top personality too :rolleyes:

Anyway, if I earned £60K I wouldn't go around telling anyone really, that's a bit of a **** move don't you think?
Reply 14
Original post by CryptoidAlien
you make it sound like it's a good thing. Who wants to be unapproachable? I certainly don't. Money isn't everythign either to women, although many are attracted to status and success.

It's more important to have so many redeeming qualities than have the admiration of one insignificant girl of many. If someone is intimidated that's an issue of the person who is the intimidatee(sp?).

Original post by McFlury
Yeh cos physical attraction/lust must mean he's got a top personality too :rolleyes:

Anyway, if I earned £60K I wouldn't go around telling anyone really, that's a bit of a **** move don't you think?

Firstly, I am the one saying his personality is good and I've known him almost 10 years.
Secondly, he didn't tell everyone. He told me. She's probably able to deduce he has money due to his occupation.

I would really appreciate it if people would stop using my thread to disperse their hangups about particular kind of people. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a successful alpha and have a nice personality. Just like it is possible to be ugly and absolutely pennyless but still a douche.
An angry face and no smiling.
Reply 16
Original post by Jebedee
It's more important to have so many redeeming qualities than have the admiration of one insignificant girl of many. If someone is intimidated that's an issue of the person who is the intimidatee(sp?).

Firstly, I am the one saying his personality is good and I've known him almost 10 years.
Secondly, he didn't tell everyone. He told me. She's probably able to deduce he has money due to his occupation.

I would really appreciate it if people would stop using my thread to disperse their hangups about particular kind of people. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a successful alpha and have a nice personality. Just like it is possible to be ugly and absolutely pennyless but still a douche.

Just because he's got a nice personality/money/whatever doesn't mean that the girl is going to fall for him does it? It's more complicated than just ticking a few boxes on paper. It's why all of us know many perfectly great people that we just don't fancy, not because they're lacking in some aspect, but because you can't plot attraction.

I don't think it's related to intimidation either. Sometimes people don't click regardless of how attractive they're perceived to be.
To answer the question: A seriously good looking guy to the point where i dare not even look at him :/
Original post by Jebedee

Maybe their personalities just didn't match up or he wasn't her type?

As for intimidation, a guy who couldn't control his negative emotions would intimidate me, as in a guy who lost his temper all the time, definitely a no-go. Aside from that, a guy who was a LOT more intelligent than me would also intimidate me.
Reply 19
I feel quite intimidated around men who assume they can have any woman in the world they want, I tend to avoid their company at all costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending