The Student Room Group

Is this enough to get a really nice stomach/toning (girl)

331.jpg
aiming for this kind of definition.

My plan is:

- run 5k 3x week (am doing couch to 5k so atm is primarily power walking but will eventually be a full run)
- Swim a mile once a week (primarily freestyle, a bit of breaststroke)
- Daily sit-ups (doing 60 now but will again increase as I feel ready)

Plus I'm trying to eat a really fruit/veg based diet, lots of raw fruit/veg at least 5 a day with some carbs and some protein... I'm not exactly wanting to diet, more make a positive life change.

I was wondering if I continue as I am where I can expect to be by July or so in terms of fitness and muscle definition?

EDIT Someone suggested I post a picture of my current physique

Photo on 19-03-2014 at 20.56 #2.jpg
Hope peoples like my pyjamas :banana::banana:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't have enough knowledge myself to say where you will be by July but that routine looks good. Most important thing would be to eat clean and stick to your plan. A lot of definition comes down to a low body fat % so make sure you try and eat healthy. Good luck!
This won't get you that muscle definition as it looks like your routine consists of mainly cardio. You will need to add some strength training in there, or you are in danger of looking "skinny fat", i.e. skinny but muscle has also wasted away. Google "Strength training for women" or something, and have a look at the difference between those that don't do it, and those that do.

On the fitness (cardiovascular) side, this looks excellent, if that is your goal.

On the muscle definition side, add about 2- 3 days a week of strength training. Even the very slim VS models do it or they would have flabbiness everywhere and no ass.

Sit ups are not the best way to get abs, compound exercises are, as well as other core exercises like planks, and also things like russian twists and bicycle crunches. And you really only have to do this about 3 times a week to see abs (if, like 2CAN said, you get your body fat% right)

But again, you need muscle otherwise your body fat percentage being low is a pip dream.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I know nothing about toning tummies. I do know swimming a mile is a mega challenge for a regular well trained swimmer.
There's been some research that suggests sit ups do more long term harm than good, so you may want to skip them.
How can we know where you will be by July when we don't know where you are right now?

Also, the key to losing weight is to expend more calories than you consume. So it's great to do that through lots of exercise and a healthy diet, but we can't actually say that you will lose weight based on you telling us "lots of raw fruit/veg at least 5 a day with some carbs and some protein".... Which basically could mean anything.
Here is the secret formula!! I will give you it for free! No need to join any gyms/weightloss groups!

Eating right is the main priority! Lots of Protein and vegetables. Stay away from low fat crap! It's mostly full of chemicals. Make your own meals from scratch so you know what's in them.
Sample menu:
Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - soup and piece of fruit
Dinner - seasoned chicken breast with veg

Alternative for breakfast is eggs. Change up ur dinner with fish or other meats. Have low carbs! If you are having wheat use organic brown.

Do loads of walking, jogging to burn fat
For toning do a few sit ups, squats and push ups in the morning. Stick to this and you will be toned in no time. Also NO alcohol if you want to achieve perfect body.
Original post by Woodlepoodle
Here is the secret formula!! I will give you it for free! No need to join any gyms/weightloss groups!

Eating right is the main priority! Lots of Protein and vegetables. Stay away from low fat crap! It's mostly full of chemicals. Make your own meals from scratch so you know what's in them.
Sample menu:
Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - soup and piece of fruit
Dinner - seasoned chicken breast with veg

Alternative for breakfast is eggs. Change up ur dinner with fish or other meats. Have low carbs! If you are having wheat use organic brown.

Do loads of walking, jogging to burn fat
For toning do a few sit ups, squats and push ups in the morning. Stick to this and you will be toned in no time. Also NO alcohol if you want to achieve perfect body.

No
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Starrydog
331.jpg

My plan is:

- run 5k 3x week (am doing couch to 5k so atm is primarily power walking but will eventually be a full run)

Plus I'm trying to eat a really fruit/veg based diet, lots of raw fruit/veg at least 5 a day with some carbs and some protein... I'm not exactly wanting to diet, more make a positive life change.

I was wondering if I continue as I am where I can expect to be by July or so in terms of fitness and muscle definition?

You need to be lifting weights, doing things like rollouts and squats with a bar to get that kind of definition. Plus a VERY low fat and high protein diet.

My housemate had a body like that - she lifted heavy weights six times a week and ate egg whites and chicken and no carbs.
(edited 10 years ago)
331.jpg

My plan is:

Your routine looks good, but I would change the sit ups to knee raises, plank, and side plank.
Also add push ups and squats / lunges to tone whole body.
331.jpg

My plan is:

You need to drop your overall body fat % before any definition comes about unless you're naturally thin.

Secondly, definition is built, not through cardio only but strength training.

You will look much better if you do the following

1: Starting strength
2: Swimming
3: HIIT
4: Eat a balanced diet of milk, veggies, fruits, oats, nuts and meat

Chicken and beef is very good for this. You can do a lot of dishes with these two.

Secondly, you can never spot reduce fat and sit ups are a poor excuse for building abs.
Original post by nopenopenope
No

Let's here your strategy then smart boy.....
331.jpg

My plan is:

firstly, remember that girl is very thin and has incredibly low body fat and is probably photoshopped, so I would stop aiming to look like that and just try and look the best that you can look, particularly if you carry weight on your stomach you may never get perfect abs like that

cardio is what you need in order to lose body fat as that will be the biggest challenge

as far as abs work goes don't both with doing hundred of sit ups, planks, russian twists etc will all do much more for you
Original post by Always.Inbetween

Original post by e aí rapaz

Original post by goldenfish

Original post by TSRgawdlike

Original post by doodle_333

Thanks Guys! I don't know how much body fat I have but I'm pretty skinny, I'm 5'5" and weigh 8st 5 lbs

I'm not really someone who's paid much attention to fitness before so naively didn't realise that kind of figure required weights etc

I will definitely look into changing to planks and 'russian twist' (will have to google that one!) I meant crunches when I said sit-ups but will modify that area, I don't really have a routine for that bit I tend to just do them in-between revision or when I wake up.

An everage day food-wise for me ATM is:

- porridge with 2 pieces of fruit
- Normally a rice based lunch with 2-4 portions of fruit/veg (sometimes I have a sandwich or salad), sometimes a bit of protein
- Whatever my family cooks this day though i tend to try and have large portions of bread and less of anything carb-y
I don't deny myself cake etc though i try and have half a piece instead of a whole, i have desserts on weekends. I don't want to overly monitor my diet simply because I'm in A levels and at GCSE I think I used food as a coping mechanism for stress and got unhealthily obsessive
Thanks Guys! I don't know how much body fat I have but I'm pretty skinny, I'm 5'5" and weigh 8st 5 lbs

I'm not really someone who's paid much attention to fitness before so naively didn't realise that kind of figure required weights etc

I will definitely look into changing to planks and 'russian twist' (will have to google that one!) I meant crunches when I said sit-ups but will modify that area, I don't really have a routine for that bit I tend to just do them in-between revision or when I wake up.

An everage day food-wise for me ATM is:

- porridge with 2 pieces of fruit
- Normally a rice based lunch with 2-4 portions of fruit/veg (sometimes I have a sandwich or salad), sometimes a bit of protein
- Whatever my family cooks this day though i tend to try and have large portions of bread and less of anything carb-y
I don't deny myself cake etc though i try and have half a piece instead of a whole, i have desserts on weekends. I don't want to overly monitor my diet simply because I'm in A levels and at GCSE I think I used food as a coping mechanism for stress and got unhealthily obsessive

Stop the bread and carbs, alcohol, sweets etc for 2 weeks and you will notice a huge difference.
Stop the bread and carbs, alcohol, sweets etc for 2 weeks and you will notice a huge difference.

Cutting out alcohol as a general rule is not a problem , I'll just stop my glasses of wine on the weekends.
Will try and exercise more willpower with chocolate, I am trying to use dark chocolate atm, so if I crave really badly i'll have 2 squares of that! I'll try and cut down carbs further but its not practical for me to eliminate them currently!
Reply 16
Cutting out alcohol as a general rule is not a problem , I'll just stop my glasses of wine on the weekends.
Will try and exercise more willpower with chocolate, I am trying to use dark chocolate atm, so if I crave really badly i'll have 2 squares of that! I'll try and cut down carbs further but its not practical for me to eliminate them currently!

You need to try and up your protein too, try protein shakes :smile:
Reply 17
More protein's as important for a girl as the muscle mass is far less, but yea.

You're probably too fat for a body like that atm assuming average muscle for somebody who's never worked out.

Lose weight (consume less, burn more), and work out the muscle groups you want to expand. It's really that simple. dont worry about 'no carbs' or anything, that's only important to achieve keto. Atm I wouldn't worry much about protein either. [yet]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by samba
More protein's as important for a girl as the muscle mass is far less, but yea.

You're probably too fat for a body like that atm assuming average muscle for somebody who's never worked out.

Lose weight (consume less, burn more), and work out the muscle groups you want to expand. It's really that simple. dont worry about 'no carbs' or anything, that's only important to achieve keto. Atm I wouldn't worry much about protein either. [yet]

As a girl there is no way you can get a body like that without taking on a high amount t of protein. The two people I know who look like that use protein shakes regularly and follow high protein low carb diets. They also both lift 4+ times a week.
Reply 19
Original post by redferry
As a girl there is no way you can get a body like that without taking on a high amount t of protein. The two people I know who look like that use protein shakes regularly and follow high protein low carb diets. They also both lift 4+ times a week.

Protein aids muscle repair/maintenance. It won't do anything for weight loss, or gaining muscle without other work. Obviously can't tell exactly without seeing, but protein uptake wouldn't be my priority at present with low muscle/resistance work.

Stuff like a regular sleep pattern is just as important at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest