The Student Room Group

She's moving abroad

So I posted something last week, but no one read it as I posted a near two page essay...so here's the quick version.

Girl I like who's here for a gap year from France is now returning in mid June.
She likes me, I like her. We went for one date in mid February, have struggled to arrange a 2nd as she's been hesitant as she didn't know if she was staying or leaving.
We are really close, and finally recently we met up for drinks.
However last week I found out she's 100% leaving.

It hurts so much, I've never liked someone before, or had any chance with a girl.
I felt like momentum was building, and that if she was going to stay then something would happen.

I dunno, I'm just gutted and don't know how to get over her.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to France or stay in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by ISawBum
Go to France or stay in the UK.

Going to France isn't an option. Plus I'm not already in a relationship with her to make that kinda leap.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Going to France isn't an option. Plus I'm not already in a relationship with her to make that kinda leap.

Get over her then.
Reply 4
Original post by ISawBum
Get over her then.

Easier said then done.
Reply 5
Well, it'll be hard to get over her but that is what you have to do. Take the experience as a positive; a girl liked you, you got on well, so there's evidence that you're capable of that. The easiest way to get over someone is to find someone new.
Reply 6
Sorry about your predicament. If she is going and its not feasible to go too then such as life i am afraid. Perhaps stay in touch, maybe in the future who knows.
Reply 7
Easier said then done.

Do you want me to do it for you?

You know this is the internet right? And you are you and I am me?
Reply 8
Original post by nathan2k1
Sorry about your predicament. If she is going and its not feasible to go too then such as life i am afraid. Perhaps stay in touch, maybe in the future who knows.

Yeah will stay in tough, though she starts uni in September for 3 years. She may be coming back after that...but that's three years away.
Reply 9
Original post by xDave-
Well, it'll be hard to get over her but that is what you have to do. Take the experience as a positive; a girl liked you, you got on well, so there's evidence that you're capable of that. The easiest way to get over someone is to find someone new.

What if this girl 'is the one' though? I know she is, but circumstances won't allow.
I don't meet a lot of new girls, but I'm not really interested anyway. I'm not interested in the whole dating thing...but this girl was the exception.
Reply 10
Original post by shopoholic
I really doubt she's "the one". Don't you think you're too young to find "the one"? And even if you really like her and she is the one, maybe you'll meet more girls? You have so many years ahead of you and so many people to meet

I'm 23.
Reply 11
What if this girl 'is the one' though? I know she is, but circumstances won't allow.
I don't meet a lot of new girls, but I'm not really interested anyway. I'm not interested in the whole dating thing...but this girl was the exception.

Well, you're right that you could never meet anyone you deem as right for you as you did her, that's true. But it's also possible you will, and it's also possible that it wouldn't have worked out with her if she stayed, so it's pointless to speculate like that. I sincerely doubt that she is the only girl in the world that you can connect with though, so calling her "the one" may yet be a little premature. You're 23; that's still a large number of years ahead of you, in which, I assume, you'll be forced into social situations through work and perhaps other commitments. You can't say what will or will not happen in this time.

I can appreciate where you're coming from though; I'm about to turn 23 and have also had zero luck with the ladies.
Reply 12
Original post by xDave-
Well, you're right that you could never meet anyone you deem as right for you as you did her, that's true. But it's also possible you will, and it's also possible that it wouldn't have worked out with her if she stayed, so it's pointless to speculate like that. I sincerely doubt that she is the only girl in the world that you can connect with though, so calling her "the one" may yet be a little premature. You're 23; that's still a large number of years ahead of you, in which, I assume, you'll be forced into social situations through work and perhaps other commitments. You can't say what will or will not happen in this time.

I can appreciate where you're coming from though; I'm about to turn 23 and have also had zero luck with the ladies.

True, I connect with other girls, but I'm far, far into the friendzone (which is mutual).
True, things may happen, but the status quo has been the same since I was a teen up until now, and can't see it changing.

And yeah, your last comment- I know you will, like me meet someone...just hope your someone is a better situation. :wink:
Look, if you really feel so strongly tell her and see if you can give it a go. You hardly have anything to lose.
Reply 14
Original post by joker12345
Look, if you really feel so strongly tell her and see if you can give it a go. You hardly have anything to lose.

Cause she knows how I feel, and I know how she feels.
And to be honest, I'm not sure I would want to give it a go this late- we only have 8 weeks left, and I'm away for one.
If things had happened sooner when we first went on in February, then yeah. But it feels like we've ran out of time.
Reply 15
Yeah will stay in tough, though she starts uni in September for 3 years. She may be coming back after that...but that's three years away.

You are still young, there are opportunities for change, particularly
going to Uni for the next 3 years. That is not to say that it isn't possible
to keep a relationship going simply because you'll be meeting other people, it depends on the person I suppose, commitment, trust and other moral principles coming into play.

You can't go wrong by telling her all of this; I mean, whatever Is going to
happen is going to happen.
Reply 16
Stay in touch with her - it often sounds crazy to people who are used to seeing the people they like on a regular basis, but long-distance relationships can work. But obviously she'll have to want to put in the effort as well as you.

Talk to her about it - maybe spend some time with her before she leaves, just in a friendly way, and if you're still getting on well then tell her at the end that you seriously do want to keep in touch. If she feels the same way about you, she'll hopefully agree. And make the first move - send her the first message once she's over there and, assuming she's enjoying speaking to you, don't be afraid to message her a couple of times a week or arrange a Skype conversation.
Original post by Jozka
Stay in touch with her - it often sounds crazy to people who are used to seeing the people they like on a regular basis, but long-distance relationships can work. But obviously she'll have to want to put in the effort as well as you.

Talk to her about it - maybe spend some time with her before she leaves, just in a friendly way, and if you're still getting on well then tell her at the end that you seriously do want to keep in touch. If she feels the same way about you, she'll hopefully agree. And make the first move - send her the first message once she's over there and, assuming she's enjoying speaking to you, don't be afraid to message her a couple of times a week or arrange a Skype conversation.

The thing is we are spending a lot of time together, and we will be staying in contact...but atm that's not as an LDR.

I think before we have a conversation about trying an LDR, we need to be in a relationship. Currently that's not the case, and I just think it's going to be too late and the day she leaves is fast approaching.
Another thing I'm really struggling with- I cannot get her off my mind. Fortunately my sleep remains unaffected, but every waking minute I'm thinking of her.
It's not as bad if I'm keeping myself busy, but it's still always there.
I can't seem to stop thinking about her, and I'm really into music so every song seems I remind me of her, one way or another.
Sounds like a case of romeo and juliet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending