The Student Room Group

Awkward position for clearing

Hello, I received the grades ABC and have been accepted by my (Scottish) insurance and rejected by my (English) firm. The A and B were in humanities subjects while the C was in the formal sciences. I am applying for Philosophy thus I could argue that the humanities grades have far more weight than the formal sciences and that potential universities would be willing to overlook the C should I go into clearing.

I have a difficult decision to make, though. Should I accept my insurance despite failing to get the grades for advanced entry (ABB - 3 instead of 4 years) or should I ask to be released and ring up universities speculatively to see if they would accept me?
Original post by ModernScholar
Hello, I received the grades ABC and have been accepted by my (Scottish) insurance and rejected by my (English) firm. The A and B were in humanities subjects while the C was in the formal sciences. I am applying for Philosophy thus I could argue that the humanities grades have far more weight than the formal sciences and that potential universities would be willing to overlook the C should I go into clearing.

I have a difficult decision to make, though. Should I accept my insurance despite failing to get the grades for advanced entry (ABB - 3 instead of 4 years) or should I ask to be released and ring up universities speculatively to see if they would accept me?

That's ultimately something that only you can answer. I'd be inclined to look at the Clearing lists and the course requirements before asking my insurance to release me.

Short answer - only you can answer this. Do you not want to go to your insurance? Why not? There must have been something about it you liked at the time. If not, then go into clearing and take your chances.
Reply 3

Some unis expect a minimum grade in all your A level subjects; that the one you got a C for is not directly relevant to your course choice may not make the grade more acceptable.

Only you can decide what risks you want to take. You can check the Clearing lists to see what's on offer, but you won't get any uni to firmly commit a place to you until/unless you have a Clearing number. This means asking your present uni to release you, and to do it quickly (which they may not).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending