The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a good physique without steroids ?

Most of the guys we all see who are ripped or who we look up to are on the juice. Secondly it takes a long time for a ectomorph/hardgainer to put size us. Yes you can eat 5 meals a day but thats not going to give you that much size, you will have to eat like 8 meals a day to get somewhere, this has to also be very consistent.

Fair enough with steroids you still have to work hard but you can get the gains pretty quickly. Training natural will take ages to gain mass. Just saying.

Most of the people we look up to in the fitness industry are roided up too and even some of the normal people who are at gym.

So what do you think ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
define good?

It's so subjective!
Yes, obviously without serious work you're never going to look like arnie but put the effort in and you're capable of getting a decent physique. Not everyone who has a good body takes steroids.
It's nothing to do with how many meals you eat, it's a calorific surplus (if you want to gain muscle). I don't know what your definition of a 'good physique' is but you can pack on a decent bit of size as a natty ectomorph in 2 years, as long as you do everything right.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Not everyone who has a good body takes steroids.

Also not everybody who takes steroids has a good body.
Reply 5
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Also not everybody who takes steroids has a good body.

This!

When i was in Uni though, i'd not see mates / people in the gym for 3-6 months and i'd go back and they would be twice the size.
Yes, it's possible. But you have to remember you won't get the body of someone who is on roids. If you look at the pictures of fitness models and the top bodybuilders, it's obvious they're extremely tight and extremely large. You're never going to hit that level. But, yes, you can have that six pack and you can get huge without roids. It may take slightly longer, though.
Do you understand the concept of having a lean body? The one footballers have? They don't use steroids :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Genocidal
Yes, it's possible. But you have to remember you won't get the body of someone who is on roids. If you look at the pictures of fitness models and the top bodybuilders, it's obvious they're extremely tight and extremely large. You're never going to hit that level. But, yes, you can have that six pack and you can get huge without roids. It may take slightly longer, though.

You actually think you can get huge ? I understand that you can get lean. But I doubt huge unless you really work at it and have like 10 meals a day, no seriously 10 meals. "You gotta do what you gotta do"
Original post by IMBCFC
You actually think you can get huge ? I understand that you can get lean. But I doubt huge unless you really work at it and have like 10 meals a day, no seriously 10 meals. "You gotta do what you gotta do"

You will have to eat more to put on mass and get huge. Remember, a lot of people will struggle to get huge simply because they aren't built for it. I, for example, have the body style of a rugby player, so I find it incredibly easy to put on weight and look large because I'm so broad anyways.

You won't reach the level of someone who is on roids, of course, but you can do well simply by eating lots. The problem you face is you'll have to clean bulk if you really want to do it whilst looking good, as opposed to looking like a lumberjack.

So, yes, unless you're genetically gifted you will have to do what you have to do. But it's within the realms of possibility.
You can be lean, big or somewhere in the middle.

You're not going to get 5'11" 100kg lean without roids, for example.
Original post by IMBCFC

What is this 10 meals bull****? You can bulk on 3 meals a day as long as you get loads of calories in. The bigger the calorific surplus the faster you'll pile on size but that entails piling on adipose tissue.
Original post by h3isenberg
What is this 10 meals bull****? You can bulk on 3 meals a day as long as you get loads of calories in. The bigger the calorific surplus the faster you'll pile on size but that entails piling on adipose tissue.

3 meals are you having a laugh ? Ok then how many calories should a hard gainer aim for 4000 ? Reason im saying 10 is because I have big goals and that'll be the only way ill be able to reach them. People complain that they dont get big the reason is because they dont eat much they say 5 meals a day is enough but its not. People WILL put size on with 10 meals !!!
Original post by IMBCFC
3 meals are you having a laugh ? Ok then how many calories should a hard gainer aim for 4000 ? Reason im saying 10 is because I have big goals and that'll be the only way ill be able to reach them. People complain that they dont get big the reason is because they dont eat much they say 5 meals a day is enough but its not. People WILL put size on with 10 meals !!!

It's a calorie game, not a meals game.
Original post by h3isenberg
It's a calorie game, not a meals game.

What about good quality carbs and protein ?
Steroids increase the proportion of body mass that is muscle and the rate of creation of new muscle. They aren't a substitute for food.

It's like asking if you still need to put petrol in your car if you buy one with a really huge engine.
Original post by Observatory
Steroids increase the proportion of body mass that is muscle and the rate of creation of new muscle. They aren't a substitute for food.

It's like asking if you still need to put petrol in your car if you buy one with a really huge engine.

I didnt say that though ? I was talking about people wanting to be really ripped up naturally but the reality is its hard very hard but not impossible. However with steroids it can happen a lot quicker and your recovery time can be a lot quicker too.

Thats why I spoke about role models in BB nearlly all of them are roided up and people aspire for that physique naturally but its not going to happen.
Of course you can attain a good physique without steroids. You probably will not be able to achieve an excellent aesthetic physique (Lazar Angelov, Jim Cordova) without steroids but that doesn't mean you won't be able to achieve a good physique.
Depends who your parents are.
OP: depends what you mean by good physique, but I personally know several weightlifters and powerlifters that have what would probably be classed as "good" by most people and they are not on anything. But they also train a lot and have done since they were teenagers. Starting weight training during puberty as a male will definitely help you a lot on your way to a muscular physique because then you make use of the naturally high amount of testosterone in your body to build muscle.

Original post by Betty Smith
Do you understand the concept of having a lean body? The one footballers have? They don't use steroids :smile:

Hahahahahaha!

Quick Reply

Latest