The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guffy
If you were fat, would you want to be seen with your shirt off/in a tight swimming costume by everybody?

i went swimming with my mate after he just lost *alot* of wieght. it was the 1st time he had been swimming in ages because he didnt want to have to show off his man boobs. apparently it was worth getting his moobs out to get a hug from my bikini clad self XD. it makes me sad to think that people miss out on swimming and stuff just because they dont like the way they look.

there again it made me even sadder when i couldnt go swimming because no where did a bloody swimming costume in my size :angry:
Reply 41
Guffy
I'm not. I just meant that if I was a fatty I would never go swimming. I'd go running instead.
But he can't - he has knee injuries! Swimming is perfect as it is low impact.
mr_person
To be blunt, I would say size 16 is fat.

Fair play..i would say a size 4/6 is unaturally thin

And we are a nation of fatties anyway seeing as the average size is 16, but seeing as its 'cool' to be thin nowadays i see it dropping
Reply 43
I saw a report on BBCW that 1 in 5 people in the U.K. are obese. Does the government actually do anything about that and is it effective?
Reply 44
mr_person
Well, it's not always. I've size 16 hips and my hip bones still stick out. I've just been blessed with wide hips and wide shoulders. My waist is size 10. So go figure.
WokSz
I saw a report on BBCW that 1 in 5 people in the U.K. are obese. Does the government actually do anything about that and is it effective?

You know, i think that were we not living in a 24 hour drinking society..obesity may not be as bad. Alcohol has many many bad calories (that said so does junk food) and people go out binge drinking not realsiing that its helping them pile on the pounds as well as lead them to an early grave. Our government looks to ban smoking yet seems to do sweet f.a about drinking and obesity. Out of interest, which kills more people: smoking, drinkin or obesity? I'm curious as to which is going to kill me first :afraid:
Segat1
Well, it's not always. I've size 16 hips and my hip bones still stick out. I've just been blessed with wide hips and wide shoulders. My waist is size 10. So go figure.

I blame my boobs :frown: were it not for them i'd be a size or too smaller top wise! :p:
Reply 47
xXMessedUpXx
I blame my boobs :frown: were it not for them i'd be a size or too smaller top wise! :p:
Sucks. Oh well. But I guess if you're 6' tall, it evens out. If I were 5' tall then it would look odd.
Reply 48
WokSz
Well, yes and no. There's the argument "Govt should do something about it" and then the other "People should be more responsible". I suppose if we're going to expect the govt to provide healthcare for us, the the govt has a right to educate us to be healthier. TBH I've never noticed a problem with healthcare here, although it is generally acknowledged that the NHS is going down the toilet. Schools are rubbish. And there are too many immigrants. We could be in any country, really.
Segat1
And there are too many immigrants. We could be in any country, really.

go down to thame and you could be in india or somewhere exotic. i used to enjoy trips down there with an asian friend when i lived nearer. it felt like being abroad. its cool to visit somewhere like than but its scary to think that this is england.
Reply 50
high priestess fnord
go down to thame and you could be in india or somewhere exotic. i used to enjoy trips down there with an asian friend when i lived nearer. it felt like being abroad. its cool to visit somewhere like than but its scary to think that this is england.
it kinda reminds me of Australia, where we have the Chinese, Vietnamese, Greek and Italian districts in cities. I love it, it is like being abroad, but at home and the food is great. Since Australia is quite a young country, and is made up of immigrants, I guess we're used to it.
Reply 51
OP, is her fatness actually hurting you? Does it affect her personality and make her a less good friend? If this is the case ditch her. If not, stop being so shallow. It's up to her if she wants to lose weight or not, and if she wants your help she'll ask for it.
Reply 52
I don't think you should take the 'blunt' route, after all she is your friend and we can see how much you care by you posting this thread. Remember 'fat' people have feelings too and everyone has there own faults - just that some people's are physical.

I think the best thing to do is to sit her down and talk to her about her weight. You'll probably find deep down she wants to do something about it anyway and is probably comfort eating to cover up her insecurities. If that doesn't work why don't you suggest joining a club or gym together. There are plenty of sports available, i'm sure there will be one that you both enjoy.

Hope that helps.
high priestess fnord
i went swimming with my mate after he just lost *alot* of wieght. it was the 1st time he had been swimming in ages because he didnt want to have to show off his man boobs. apparently it was worth getting his moobs out to get a hug from my bikini clad self XD. it makes me sad to think that people miss out on swimming and stuff just because they dont like the way they look.

there again it made me even sadder when i couldnt go swimming because no where did a bloody swimming costume in my size :angry:

I have severe gynocomastia and i got teased/mentally tortured when i was in a swimming lesson when i was 14. Even since then ive never been swimming - even when i go on holiday :frown: im 23 now!

Kids can be little bastards!
Anonymous
I have severe gynocomastia and i got teased/mentally tortured when i was in a swimming lesson when i was 14. Even since then ive never been swimming - even when i go on holiday :frown: im 23 now!

Kids can be little bastards!

aww im not wearing a bikini but hugs anyway :hugs:

dont let it get you down, just go have fun. ive been swimming in an old tshirt and bra before because i couldnt get anything else to fit. one group of guys were openly laughing at me :eek: but i had fun anyway. if i can do that then you can flash your moobs!
Segat1
Well, it's not always. I've size 16 hips and my hip bones still stick out. I've just been blessed with wide hips and wide shoulders.

Same here (size 16/14 hips, size 12/14 top) - wide hips, wide shoulders, quite a narrow waist, flattish stomach - I weigh about 10 stone 12, but I have more muscle fibre than average, and in fact I'm inside my BMI advised weight range, so it's ok. :smile:
Reply 56
high priestess fnord
aww im not wearing a bikini but hugs anyway :hugs:

dont let it get you down, just go have fun. ive been swimming in an old tshirt and bra before because i couldnt get anything else to fit. one group of guys were openly laughing at me :eek: but i had fun anyway. if i can do that then you can flash your moobs!

;grouphugs; they're so mean :frown: this is me giving you several hugs.

i've never been fat at all, but i've always been really insecure abt my body for some reason. i haven't been in a swimming costume/ shorts/skirt since i was little. i'm a v. self-conscious girl :redface: and i like swimming...:frown: i;m a 'water' star-sign :wink:

so yeah, i have an empathy with overweight people in the sense that i know what it's like to feel bad abt yourself or feel like you're being made to feel bad abt yourself if you know what i mean.

i totally support losing weight for health reasons, but people who feel the need to laugh at overweight people as they go abt their daily business are seriously odd. :mad:

lots of smiley thingys in this post.......
Reply 57
mr_person

It depends on your height.

I'm 5 foot 10, and a size 14 currently (I used to be a ludicrously skinny size 12). I aspire to be a size 16, because then I might actually have some curves, rather than going straight up and down.

To the OP: Tell your friend that you're concerned she doesn't eat much in the way of fresh fruit & veg, and that you'd be most upset if her not-so-varied diet caused her to die before her time. Tell her you know it's entirely up to her what she eats, but that if she wishes to change how she eats, you'll support her in that move (and try to follow the same diet yourself). The last thing you want is for her to finish uni and then drop dead from a heart attack due to cholesterol or something. Some of the simplest things can be changing the frying to grilling at breakfast. That'll make a huge difference (no pun intended). Also, you can create takeaway like food very easily at home, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it. If she doesn't take hints with your concern about her health, try the financial approach. It's a damn sight cheaper to get a few pounds of mince, curry sauce/powder and a bag of rice and make a curry that'll feed you for 5 nights (est cost £7-£10 in total) and compare that to five nights of takeaways (est cost £4-£5 per meal, therefore £20-£25)

Good luck.
Reply 58
minimo
I bet the preson who neg-repped me for this is like a size 24 or something. Note the fact I was describing personal experience, so if anyone should be offering advice on this to the OP it would be me.

I'm not into neg-repping people but I can understand why someone did. Research Binge Eating Disorder.

Oh, and I'm not 'size 24' either.
Anonymous
i have a serious problem....ma mate can't stop eating seriously fry up for brekie mc donalds for lunch n takeaway for dinner...in amongst unhelthy snaks(god i feel l;ike gillian mckeith) but no being more serious she wear clothes which protrude her stomach it is rather disgustin it looks likes she preggers...moreover when she wears skirts she gets the rong kinda attention frm these weirdo boys
ahhh at logger heads
helpp..... advice....plzz...desperation:confused: :confused:
Calm down Vicky! Just explain that you're getting worried about her health and lifestyle.

Latest

Trending

Trending