The Student Room Group

I do not respect my dad. What should I do?

So, how should I treat my dad?
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally, you have BIG reasons not to respect him.
But, as you said, minimise interactions. Be respectful (even though it's hard) and do not stretch conversations (you know what I mean?). Just be passive.
I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Respect is to be earned.
Original post by ErinBliss
Basically, we have been hurt many many times with his actions and decisions but you can not ever cut blood ties, that is immoral to me.

Well then enjoy your life as a slave being tied to misery by a social construct that was probably influenced by your parents to begin with.

I went through a similar thing with my dad and finally cut all ties with him and his family about 7 years ago, my only regret is that I didn't do it much earlier! :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by jedanselemyia
Personally, you have BIG reasons not to respect him.
But, as you said, minimise interactions. Be respectful (even though it's hard) and do not stretch conversations (you know what I mean?). Just be passive.
I hope this helps.

Yes, I understand. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I understand. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome!
I'm in kind of the same situation myself so I understand.
I'm in nearly the exact same situation as you (except my father is unemployed and just sits on his arse all day playing games - literally. PS4, Sims, PS3). I just do as you do; minimize interaction. I have enough work to do that I spend most of my time shut in my bedroom. I'm gonna be moving to Liverpool come September and I simply cannot wait, partly because I'm excited for uni and partly because I'll finally be away from him. Stay strong, OP. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by IanDangerously
Well then enjoy your life as a slave being tied to misery by a social construct that was probably influenced by your parents to begin with.

I went through a similar thing with my dad and finally cut all ties with him and his family about 7 years ago, my only regret is that I didn't do it much earlier! :tongue:

Yes, I feel like I should support him for good bcos I want to repay him. Dad was loving when I was young (Im 18 now) but work burden & money probs really have changed him. Is your dad still with your mom? Because that is my problem. I really really love her but she has never thought about parting ways with him. Ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by crozibear96
I'm in nearly the exact same situation as you (except my father is unemployed and just sits on his arse all day playing games - literally. PS4, Sims, PS3). I just do as you do; minimize interaction. I have enough work to do that I spend most of my time shut in my bedroom. I'm gonna be moving to Liverpool come September and I simply cannot wait, partly because I'm excited for uni and partly because I'll finally be away from him. Stay strong, OP. :smile:

Thanks girl, you stay strong too :smile:. I hope that your dad and mine could take a turn for the better in the future. Congrats for moving into a great city. I also can not wait to get into uni this September and basically, moving to UK. I wish you all the best :danceboy:
Thanks girl, you stay strong too :smile:. I hope that your dad and mine could take a turn for the better in the future. Congrats for moving into a great city. I also can not wait to get into uni this September and basically, moving to UK. I wish you all the best :danceboy:

Thanks. I wish you all the best too! (insert cool emoji thingie here)
Reply 10
I haven't spoken to my dad in about 6 year and only maybe three times in the last 10 years.
If you have no respect for someone, pay as little attention to them as possible without being rude.
My relationship with my dad has gotten a lot better since I moved out. We don't have much time to argue now that we only see each other once a week at the most.

Think it's true when they say absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending