The Student Room Group

People being meaner to Pretty girls?

My mates were chatting earlier (a lot of them are player type guys) and they said that they tend to flirt more/be kinder to girls they find relatively unattractive, or girls who are overweight because "they know its [flirting] is just banter" and "pretty girls need to be taken down a peg" whilst "ugly girls need love."

I often also see girls being meaner to other girls who dress nicely etc., although such girls are often outgoing. At school I knew an attractive girl who was also nice but people saw her as a pushover and resented her a lot and in the end she switched schools :frown:

Are pretty girls really treated nicer?

Scroll to see replies

Jealousy. No other word to describe it.
(If you want "beauty", it should be someone who keeps a calm head under any circumstance and doesn't act out of impulse)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Jealousy. No other word to describe it.
(If you want "beauty", it should be someone who keeps a calm head under any circumstance and doesn't act out of impulse)

But what about guys doing this? Is it still jealousy?

I'm really average so have no idea lol :lol:
I agree some attractive girls are bullied by other girls quite often but I've never seen a guy do so based on that reason alone.

Most are too concerned with wanting to impress said girl.
Original post by Anonymous
My mates were chatting earlier (a lot of them are player type guys) and they said that they tend to flirt more/be kinder to girls they find relatively unattractive, or girls who are overweight because "they know its [flirting] is just banter" and "pretty girls need to be taken down a peg" whilst "ugly girls need love."

I often also see girls being meaner to other girls who dress nicely etc., although such girls are often outgoing. At school I knew an attractive girl who was also nice but people saw her as a pushover and resented her a lot and in the end she switched schools :frown:

Okay firstly the guys are either A: Think the pretty girl will never go for them/out of their league/no chance and/or B: They're just dicks, seriously.
Secondly: The girls are flipping jealous. That jealously will never die with girls sadly.

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I agree some attractive girls are bullied by other girls quite often but I've never seen a guy do so based on that reason alone.

Most are too concerned with wanting to impress said girl.

^^^^^ Agreed. More seen guys to like to bully girls they think are 'ugly'
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by elmosandy
Okay firstly the guys are either A: Think the pretty girl will never go for them/out of their league/no chance and/or B: They're just dicks, seriously.
Secondly: The girls are flipping jealous. That jealously will never die with girls sadly.

^^^^^ Agreed. More seen guys to like to bully girls they think are 'ugly'

Yes Ive noticed that less "popular" guys (e.g. geeky ones) often tend to be meaner to supposedly attractive girls and the more popular ones wont hang around with ones who aren't pretty.

Sometimes even pretty girls themselves though act really jealously :s-smilie: Im glad Im average in some ways lol
Yes Ive noticed that less "popular" guys (e.g. geeky ones) often tend to be meaner to supposedly attractive girls and the more popular ones wont hang around with ones who aren't pretty.

Sometimes even pretty girls themselves though act really jealously :s-smilie: Im glad Im average in some ways lol

Did you mean less popular guys are meaner to unattractive girls ?

What makes you so sure it isn't the 'pretty girls' being mean to the 'geeky guys' first?

What do you mean by popular?
How many votes do these people get in an election?
(edited 9 years ago)
Mehhh

Especially attractive girls do *tend* to be especially high and mighty. Try and talk to them or have banter many will automatically presume you're trying to hit on them. It's especially obvious on those who think they're a damn sight more attractive than they really are.

Also a fair few tend to look down on less attractive girls. My ex was one such person, she complained about how people were jealous, kinda got pissed off when I pointed out it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if she stopped bitching about how ugly certain people were (especially girls), often quite vocally and within hearing distance. In my experience this is the norm rather than the exception, most such people just don't like to admit they do it.
In my experience, some people are just dickheads irregardless of their appearance, and they pick on whoever they think they can get away with it with. :dontknow: Lumping 'pretty' people or 'geeky' people or whoever together and saying they all act like this or that is just as much *******s as racial or gender stereotypes.
I'd probably treat pretty girls better cuz I'd be attracted to them, idk why they need "taking down a peg", they're not doing anything bad.

Not that I'd treat a worse looking girl badly or anything but if I see a girl I fancy I'm gonna be nicer to them, ya feel?
Original post by DanB1991
Mehhh

Especially attractive girls do *tend* to be especially high and mighty. Try and talk to them or have banter many will automatically presume you're trying to hit on them. It's especially obvious on those who think they're a damn sight more attractive than they really are.

Also a fair few tend to look down on less attractive girls. My ex was one such person, she complained about how people were jealous, kinda got pissed off when I pointed out it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if she stopped bitching about how ugly certain people were (especially girls), often quite vocally and within hearing distance. In my experience this is the norm rather than the exception, most such people just don't like to admit they do it.

Some pretty girls are but I know a lot of pretty girls who think they're hideous.
Original post by elmosandy
Some pretty girls are but I know a lot of pretty girls who think they're hideous.

Obviously, but it tends to be based more on their own perception in comparison from others.

Generally speaking a lot of groups of girls will often bitch about other groups, often highlighting levels of attractiveness in comparison to their own.
Original post by DanB1991
Obviously, but it tends to be based more on their own perception in comparison from others.

Generally speaking a lot of groups of girls will often bitch about other groups, often highlighting levels of attractiveness in comparison to their own.

Yes kind of cringe when girls or people in general say ' (but why does he want her she's so ugly and I'm trying to tell them they're ugly as **** ) Yeah you can think someone is not pretty but not in a nasty way and they don't have to voice it. Kinda puts me off them tbh
Wow, what dicks.
I'm one of the few of my friend group that is single (:frown:) so I don't notice a lot of guys flirting with girls.
Personally, however, I flirt with only girls that I am interested in (that I would want a relationship with), and yes, they do tend to be the pretty girls (although a lot of things can contribute to this).
I can't really comprehend why guys would want to take pretty girls 'down a peg', it just seems to dickish and un-chivalrous.

It's simple enough to understand why player-type guys would do it. Pretty girls get slavish compliments all the time so it is not going to get results just giving her more of them. Plainer girls are more likely to be insecure so the best way to flirt with them is to be complimentary.

So by the vast majority of guys yes, pretty girls are treated like goddesses.
Original post by scrotgrot
It's simple enough to understand why player-type guys would do it. Pretty girls get slavish compliments all the time so it is not going to get results just giving her more of them. Plainer girls are more likely to be insecure so the best way to flirt with them is to be complimentary.

So by the vast majority of guys yes, pretty girls are treated like goddesses.

Fair point, but I don't know why if a guy think a girl is ugly and knows he doens't want to get with her he will lead her on by flirting
I can attest to that fact that in my political circles, the other females (though up to 10yrs my senior) are rather bitchy. To the point that I walk in in my evening dress to them very openly being catty with each other.
It's quite irritating as I've never been anything but nice and I'm not even as outgoing as them naturally

Never known it from guys - would be curious why though? But then I tend to find most flirt if they're after something and OP sounds more like just for fun.
Never known guys to want to 'take pretty girls down a peg'. That's borderline rapist mentality.
People are haters. I treat girls I find pretty better because I want to get on their good side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending