The Student Room Group

Who believes sex should be after marriage

any opinions welcome

Scroll to see replies

Mainly the religious.
There's 100s of these threads.
Honestly, I think this is a subject for 'past ages'.
In a world where a marriage is not what it used to be (and I am thinking at the higher and higher rates of divorce), sex after marriage kind of looses it's meaning.
And besides, I think that the idea is to find ONE partner. As long as you have found her/him, the rest...is just paperwork, it shouldn't really matter.
can confirm that belief
Reply 5
Not in the slightest. What if you got married and the sex was terrible? Sure sex is just a part of being together but it would also harm other aspects of said marriage
Original post by Kmb123
Not in the slightest. What if you got married and the sex was terrible? Sure sex is just a part of being together but it would also harm other aspects of said marriage

The experiences would make you greedy to have more sex with others and make you less happy once married.
Also casual sex is still a society issue of the western nation, the stigma of casual sex/many partners pre marriage exists in most other parts of the world who value the traditional relationship, marriage, family set up.

Studies have shown definitive correlation between number of sexual partners and divorce rates. It’s not the sex, specifically, that makes certain women bad relationship and marriage material. It’s the type of woman they are. Promiscuous sex is a symptom of the fact that these women are poor relationship prospects. Not the cause. (Teachman, 2003)

Anywho, marriage is on the decline these days since it's culturally more acceptable to have pre-marital shared living arrangements.
Personally I'd rather wait till marriage, but I think it's more important to do it with someone you love, when you feel ready(whether or not that's before or after marriage)
What if you got married to someone to find out your partner was into BDSM and getting pissed/defecated on?
Reply 9
Original post by childofthesun
Personally I'd rather wait till marriage, but I think it's more important to do it with someone you love, when you feel ready(whether or not that's before or after marriage)

^ My view exactly
Have sex when you want to. A bit of paper has nothing to do with it.
Unless you think a God is going to punish you, there's no good reason not to have sex with someone you love, respect and feel ready with, just because you don't have a legal attachment.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
The experiences would make you greedy to have more sex with others and make you less happy once married.
Also casual sex is still a society issue of the western nation, the stigma of casual sex/many partners pre marriage exists in most other parts of the world who value the traditional relationship, marriage, family set up.

Studies have shown definitive correlation between number of sexual partners and divorce rates. It’s not the sex, specifically, that makes certain women bad relationship and marriage material. It’s the type of woman they are. Promiscuous sex is a symptom of the fact that these women are poor relationship prospects. Not the cause. (Teachman, 2003)

Anywho, marriage is on the decline these days since it's culturally more acceptable to have pre-marital shared living arrangements.

Fair enough, however I disagree that having slept with other people will impact any future relationship. Surely the reasoning is that people will have sex with others until they find the one they want and have then experienced others, therefore will have no urge to experiment further
I'm indifferent as sex isn't the be all and end all of a relationship. If I was in love with someone and they wanted to wait then I'd be happy to wait. Each to their own really.
It would be unlikely to ever be an option for me, I'm afraid.
I'm all for sx after marrage.
I think you should have sex before you marry and continue to have sex after it.
Reply 17
It's not a popular philosophy nowadays. If indeed it ever was. It would lead to premature ill advised marriages and curtail a lot of fun if this was the norm.
I was for the idea when I was a lot younger though, but things change. I would hate it if I'd just got married, we both undress and I discover I'm not attracted to him sexually. Then I'd have to deal with the thought of having to look at him for another 50 odd years'. No ta.

Having said that if I was to meet someone who wanted to wait until marriage, I could probably do it. I mean I've gone this long without sex, but the above still applies so I doubt I'd go down this road.
Original post by Anonymous

Nice that you only spoke about promiscuity in terms of women. Speaks volumes about your attitude.

Besides I'd rather be with someone who had experience and STILL prefer being with me rather than someone not knowing any better through inexperience. I don't understand why people think that casual sex=inability to commit. It just sounds insecure to me. Oh god, she can't possibly be with anyone else but me...what if she compares me to her other lovers and it's revealed I'm **** in bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending