The Student Room Group

Can we help who we fall in love with?

Can you help who you fall in love with? Are we to blame for falling in love with the wrong person? Or is it just genetics and chemicals?
All opinions welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Can you help who you fall in love with? Are we to blame for falling in love with the wrong person? Or is it just genetics and chemicals?

I don't think you can choose damn I love a man I'd never stand a chance with he's so unlike my typical type of guy it's just chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people can't
Reply 3

Interesting question. Yes of course we can help who we fall in love with. However, we can't always just stop it...
Reply 4
Tbh I really don't know.

I saw this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/love/senses.shtml

I think its an interesting idea but I don't like the idea that we have no control over it. I'm not sure...
Of course not. You can try and stop yourself when you realise you're falling for them, but by that point it's already too late! I fell in love with one of my friends, and still loved him even after he started dating my sister. I moved abroad that year (not because of that) and moved on, but it wasn't easy. You can't stop yourself falling in love, but you can help yourself fall out of love. I guess that's the best we can hope for when we fall for the wrong person.
Reply 6

Lol what kind of meecrob is this?

If you are a free thinking individual able to make your own choices, yes, you can choose who you fall in love with.

Next thread please.
Original post by MAINE.
Lol what kind of meecrob is this?

If you are a free thinking individual able to make your own choices, yes, you can choose who you fall in love with.

Next thread please.

Meecrob is Thai noodles hope that answers your question
Lmao

Sometime you get a crush on someone and that can't be helped when you have that crush you have two options really continue seeing that person where ever it may be and end up obsessed with em

Or avoid them like the plague now if it happens to be a medical professional your pretty screwed last thread of the calibre was I love someone is it my fault then turned out being ops doctor im like avoid the Dr get a new one it's really not rocket science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I remember reading somewhere that you can take certain chemical blockers to stop liking someone.
Original post by XFD
I remember reading somewhere that you can take certain chemical blockers to stop liking someone.

Please don't start with homeopathy honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you can, but probably only by deliberate avoidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Musie Suzie
Yes, you can, but probably only by deliberate avoidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By deliberately avoiding someone have you not already gained an interest in them sexually?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah you can't help it. Sad times :frown:
#HelplessEmotions
Reply 13
I don't think you can choose to fall in love with someone, but you might have a limited ability to choose who you don't fall in love with - namely by avoiding them.
A few months ago I accidentally started crushing on a girl that already has a boyfriend, so I'd say no.
Original post by vickie89uk
By deliberately avoiding someone have you not already gained an interest in them sexually?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's rather the point, and not the same thing as falling in love. e.g. if you're in a committed relationship/married and find yourself sexually (or emotionally) attracted to someone else, you can prevent things from progressing beyond that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I hear you can go to special camps to stop you liking certain people so...
Original post by JayReg
I hear you can go to special camps to stop you liking certain people so...

Oh please anyone that does that is so sad they want your 💷💷 don't go to a bloody camp stop seeing the person out of sight eventually out of mind simples it's not rocket science

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can learn to discipline your mind and subdue emotion when you feel it however you can't help who or what you feel emotion towards.
Original post by vickie89uk
Oh please anyone that does that is so sad they want your 💷💷 don't go to a bloody camp stop seeing the person out of sight eventually out of mind simples it's not rocket science

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if you physically cannot stop looking at them? Say for example you have to work with them or go to a college with them etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending