The Student Room Group

HELP! My Mum and my friends Mum are in a relationship?

I am truly horrified by this whole situation.

Basically, my best friends Mum split up from her husband years ago, and she has always been fairly good friends with my Mum, so I didn't think anything of it if they would go out for dinner or a few drinks etc....turns out they have been having an affair for years.

My Mum has left my Dad for my best friends Mum. My whole family is devastated, I am beyond humiliated, everyone at school is talking about me, me and my best friend are not talking because it's too awkward. What else could go wrong?!

How do I solve this? I don't know if I can live with my Mum and my best friends Mum being in a relationship! My Mum is putting me through hell!
Reply 1
:frown:
This all sounds very hot
You ll just have to deal with her decision I m afraid unless you d prefer to live with your dad
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
You ll just have to deal with her decision I m afraid unless you d prefer to live with your dad

Well I'm dealing with the decision by being a laughingstock everyday!

And of course I would prefer to live with my Dad...not going to abandon him for my Mum's selfishness.
Original post by Anonymous
I am truly horrified by this whole situation.

Basically, my best friends Mum split up from her husband years ago, and she has always been fairly good friends with my Mum, so I didn't think anything of it if they would go out for dinner or a few drinks etc....turns out they have been having an affair for years.

My Mum has left my Dad for my best friends Mum. My whole family is devastated, I am beyond humiliated, everyone at school is talking about me, me and my best friend are not talking because it's too awkward. What else could go wrong?!

How do I solve this? I don't know if I can live with my Mum and my best friends Mum being in a relationship! My Mum is putting me through hell!

What is it that bothers you?

a) the divorce? - Divorce is a common thing these days
b) your step-brother? - Also very common
c) homosexual couples - Also very common

I fail to see how your mother is humiliating you. If anything, she is teaching you that should not be with someone you don't love.

Original post by blue n white army
This all sounds very hot

You are in the wrong website. :redface:
Reply 6
That's messed up. I feel sorry for you.
Reply 7
it's her choice
I'd definitely try to make sure you and your best friend's relationship is sorted out. Really don't want to lose that.
Well I'm dealing with the decision by being a laughingstock everyday!

And of course I would prefer to live with my Dad...not going to abandon him for my Mum's selfishness.

If their laughing due to a parents decision shows how mature your classmates are really.
Update: They are still going out and my friend is still not talking to me. No one in my year seems to be able to look at me without laughing.
Reply 11
Are you sure they are laughing or are they just saying things behind your back because I don't see why it would be funny but I would understand if they are chatting/bantering
Update: They are still going out and my friend is still not talking to me. No one in my year seems to be able to look at me without laughing.

To be honest, I would just ignore them or try to be indifferent (if they say something to you just tell: it is not my business, mind yours!)

When I was in a long-term difficult situation, I focused my mind on something else and avoid going out till I have the possibility to leave the country (or city if you are at low budget).
I put a facade and stayed with few people who did not care at all (and weren't dangerous, just indifferent).

It started when I was at age of 11 and kept till at age of 18. After that I finally came here in UK and started my degree with a fresh reputation and start.

At that period (11-18), I focused on maintaining a proper final grade in my studies and get addicted to something (mostly mmorpg games and anime/manga) so I could ignore everything and live in my own world.

Drawbacks are you will find it hard to be social (or keep being social) with people and feel empty after giving up to games (loss of excitement that even a healthy relationship could not bring back).

I don't want to talk about the problems that led me to this behaviour, but I wanted to tell you that you will get better later, so just endure and be selfish by enjoying things you like to do. When you will start to be independent have a moment to think about how to live your life and how to deal if the past appears :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Well I'm sorry to hear that. I got bullied badly and isolated at school so I know how that feels but you have to ignore them. When you get to college and university you will find more mature friends who have also struggled in life and understand what you've been through. You will, trust me. Until then vent on here.
Ultimately you go to school to learn so focus on that. Doing well at school will boost your self esteem in this situation so what others think will matter less. Also I'm sure there's one or two quieter and more sensible people in your year who won' t judge you and would be happy to hangout. They may not be the most popular or coolest people but they'll be real and that's what counts.
As for the home situation are your mum and best friend's mum living together? Can you rely on your dad or siblings or other relatives for support?
As soon as things become more stable they will get better. Keep posting how you're feeling so we can help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending