The Student Room Group

Needing to be in the UK 3 years prior

Hello

I'd just like some clarification on something. My wife is planning to apply for university in London. She has a Portuguese passport, though she lives in Brazil, we're both moving back to the UK. I read you have to be living in the UK for 3 years to receive financing for university. But no one can seem to specify whether thats 3 years from the date of the course (normally mid/end of september) or if it's 3 years from the first date of the academy year (ie. 1st of September).

Could someone clarify this for me?
Thanks!
Sam

Note: I called Student Finance several times, every person had a different answer.
Hi there,

Your wife would have to have residency for the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.
So it would have to be 3 years before the 1st of September.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there,

Your wife would have to have residency for the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.
So it would have to be 3 years before the 1st of September.

Hope this helps.

The thing is our flight is just a few days into September, will Student Finance really make my wife wait another year because of a few days?
Hi,

The residency criteria states that a student must have been resident in the UK for three years before the first day of the first academic year, therefore is this was not the case, a student wouldn't be entitled to receive funding from Student Finance until they have been resident for the three years before the start of the academic year.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending