The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, very.
Original post by Anonymous
There's a girl that I've been messaging online for quite a substantial amount of time, however she seems to have suddenly just disappeared from the face of the planet. I know which university she goes to; what she studies and which year she's in. Would it be creepy to send a email to her university to ask if she's an actual student there, which may confirm if I've been catfished or not?

uhhh... it would certainly be pointless if she's suddenly disappeared. I'm not certain what you'd be achieving.
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah
uhhh... it would certainly be pointless if she's suddenly disappeared. I'm not certain what you'd be achieving.

Closure, perhaps? We were cyber buddies for a good two years.
Closure, perhaps? We were cyber buddies for a good two years.

Meh, don't waste your time.
Reply 5
Meh, don't waste your time.

So I should just accept it and move on?
Reply 6
Stalker
Any question that begins, "Would it be creepy..." inevitably is answered with 'Yes'. If it occurs to you that such a thing might be construed as creepy, it inevitably would be.

Closure for online relationships aren't really necessary. Assume you were talking to a sentient dog that somehow gained the ability to type and act accordingly.
holy crap this thread scared me enough to make me reply to my online pal that i hadn't messaged for a while ahahahahhaha
The uni can't disclose that sort of information to you, even if they wanted to.
Original post by Mancini
Stalker

Oh no! They'll be outside my house with their pitch forks soon enough.

purplesquid
holy crap this thread scared me enough to make me reply to my online pal that i hadn't messaged for a while

How so?
Reply 11

Dear... This girl on your course has failed to message me back (Clearly she doesnt want to speak to me) but i was just wondering if you could speak to her and ask her what is up?

Not weird at all

Mhm.

I suddenly had a really strange concern. Like, if you contact the uni asking this stuff when you can't really explain who you are to her, then the contact person might think "ey that's a bit odd"

Next few days, girl ends up beaten up/robbed/murdered/raped by somebody she claims to not know. Suddenly uni's like "ey we did get a kinda odd email where somebody was askin bout her the other day" and then bam, you're a suspect. I mean it's a ridiculous scenario but still... ya know.
It would be out of the norm yes, you must also note that the university will never disclose that sort of information to you regardless.

I found this guy's wallet on the ground one time. Had his university ID card in it, I rung up and asked if they would give me his email address or something that I could use to contact him directly and they were absolutely adamant that they cannot disclose such information.

So if you compare your scenario and my example, it's very easy to imagine that no matter what, even with good intentions, universities are very strict about the protection, if you like, of their students which is completely understandable.
Reply 14
Maybe she disappeared because she doesn't want to talk to you ever again?

But the university can't tell you data protection and all that.
Reply 15
I don't think they'll give you any info about her...
it would be...more than creepy tbh
Yes.
Don't waste your time.

How so?

mixture of feeling bad that i hadn't replied and the thought of my online pal ever wanting to email my university to check on me (even tho i don't think he'd do that lol)

i'm the kind of a person who likes to keep to themselves so the idea of my name being brought up in an email to my university kind of terrifies me
i wouldn't want my name to be flagged up or anything ahaha
maybe it sounds irrational but it still makes me anxious lol
Mhm.

I suddenly had a really strange concern. Like, if you contact the uni asking this stuff when you can't really explain who you are to her, then the contact person might think "ey that's a bit odd"

Next few days, girl ends up beaten up/robbed/murdered/raped by somebody she claims to not know. Suddenly uni's like "ey we did get a kinda odd email where somebody was askin bout her the other day" and then bam, you're a suspect. I mean it's a ridiculous scenario but still... ya know.

i strongly agree

Latest

Trending

Trending