The Student Room Group

[Advice needed] Considering a German public university

I shall be taking the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced Level examinations next year, in 2017.

I am an international student in Singapore, so tuition fees for Singaporean public universities such as National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are very high.

Therefore, I am considering public universities in Germany, where tuition fees are nullified even for international students and only other miscellaneous fees apply. I currently have the Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Rhein-Waal) in consideration, as they offer many bachelor degrees in engineering with courses completely taught in English.

However, if I graduate from the Hochschule, will I be able to find a job in Singapore or other places such as the UK? In job-seeking, will I be disadvantaged compared to someone who graduated from a Singaporean public university? Is this German degree recognised in most places of the world?

I would like your advice on this matter. Thank you!
Original post by Li_Qun_Yan
I shall be taking the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced Level examinations next year, in 2017.

I am an international student in Singapore, so tuition fees for Singaporean public universities such as National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are very high.

Therefore, I am considering public universities in Germany, where tuition fees are nullified even for international students and only other miscellaneous fees apply. I currently have the Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Rhein-Waal) in consideration, as they offer many bachelor degrees in engineering with courses completely taught in English.

However, if I graduate from the Hochschule, will I be able to find a job in Singapore or other places such as the UK? In job-seeking, will I be disadvantaged compared to someone who graduated from a Singaporean public university? Is this German degree recognised in most places of the world?

I would like your advice on this matter. Thank you!

Well, it depends... I have no idea, of Singapore in particular, so maybe you can ask them, if they had alumnis? The other question is, whether you could work afterwards in Germany, because work experience makes moving allways easier. With the universities of applied sciences it is a bit difficult to say.

Generally the Technical Universities will tend to be more recognized internationally, as Universities of Applied Sciences are often more niche in terms of excellance and while providing you with any knowledge you need to be good at your job, research and theory and being at the top of their field, is not their goal. Thus to go there, you really need to know what you want, though it can be a bit the same as with British former polytechnics, getting excellant grades is more doable, thus where only grades matter, you have very good chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending