The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Eligibility

Hi, I have just recently found out that, if you're an EU national, you have to have lived for at least 5 years in the UK before the start of your course in order to apply for a maintenance loan.

I thought the requirement was in fact of 3 years residency? I still think it was and they just changed it recently (I'm assuming in March).

Now having found out about this so late, I'm stuck with having to apply as an EU national and only receiving a loan for tuition fees, even though I have been living in the UK for 3 years.

Is there anything I can do to qualify for the UK loan? Surely if the law was changed so suddenly and recently, I shouldn't have to suffer through having my financial plans ruined.
Unfortunately the new law does apply to you. Perversely, if you were living in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland then you would be able to get a maintenance loan. Bit unfair but those are the rules.

The only way around this is if you are working. Apparently migrant workers who "have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area, including the UK, and/or Switzerland for three years remain eligible for full support; the work must not be marginal and the student must continue to work throughout the course of study." If you don't work then you will either have to find a way to support yourself without loans, or wait 2 years.
Reply 2
Thank youu for the help, I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending