The Student Room Group

Just started door to door fundraising

Im working for Shelter and have just started out. First day was gruelling due to the cold and my lack of experience (and donors). Second day will be far better.

Have any of you done anything similar in the past and what would your advice be?
Reply 1
I've done door to door fundraising recently, my advice would be for you to make sure you're wrapped up very warm if you're out there for a while (my hours were 3pm - 9pm), feel confident about your pitches, if it's possible try to relate to them in some way, and try to laugh with the people you're pitching too instead of being dead serious (this worked for me on occasions). As a final note I would definitely tell you to not get disheartened about not receiving as much donors as you predicted or the same amount as others. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Shaylax
I've done door to door fundraising recently, my advice would be for you to make sure you're wrapped up very warm if you're out there for a while (my hours were 3pm - 9pm), feel confident about your pitches, if it's possible try to relate to them in some way, and try to laugh with the people you're pitching too instead of being dead serious (this worked for me on occasions). As a final note I would definitely tell you to not get disheartened about not receiving as much donors as you predicted or the same amount as others. :smile:

Thanks shaylax. Appreciate it. I am on the autistic spectrum however and im worried that my failure to perceive cues might hinder me. Any thoughts on how to overcome this? Should I have told my employers? Should I now tell them?
Original post by atari bell
Im working for Shelter and have just started out. First day was gruelling due to the cold and my lack of experience (and donors). Second day will be far better.

Have any of you done anything similar in the past and what would your advice be?

Hey Atari,

I haven't done door to door fundraising before, but I have done bucket shaking in the streets - also cold and you're also trying to get people to donate in a very short space of time!

My advice would be to smile lots, wear something that you are warm and comfortable in and try to keep your spirits up if you don't get many donations - they'll always be one that comes along and gives you £20 and you'll feel so happy!

Also well done for what you're doing, it's a really good cause!
Reply 4
I would advise you to tell your employers about this if you feel as though it will affect how you perform at work, but with that in mind I doubt it will make a difference to your overall performance. I'd also say try not to focus on your autism as a disadvantage and try to use it to help you get better if that makes sense? You'll be able to still receive donors regardless of your situation as long as you try your hardest :smile:, but I would definitely suggest that you tell your employers so at least they are aware and can possible help you with your pitch etc. to make sure that you're still able to do your job properly :smile:
Reply 5
So... I lost the job. It was totally my fault, i really stuffed up and then made the situation practically unredeemable. Self sabotage par excellence really.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68806626&highlight=

There's the thread. I initially didn't understand what went wrong but its started to sink in fully now. Would mentioning OCD/AS help? I doubt it. I should have mentioned not having my badge from the outset I clearly didn;t care enough about the job because I would have been far more meticulous about something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending