The Student Room Group

Lets be honest being drunk is an excuse for cheating

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by intelligent con
Look everyone does incredibly dumb stuff when they're drunk, people completely lose control and do stuff they would never normally do like pour drinks over their friends or flirt with anything that moves. Half the time when you're really drunk you can't even remember what you did, surely if you drink this much you weren't really in a position to make a rational decision.

The law reflects this by making sex with a severely intoxicated person rape. So when its pretty obvious that you are in no state to make a real decision when drunk, why the hell does everyone always go on about how being drunk is no excuse to cheat? Being drunk is an excuse for a whole range of other stupid decisions, why should cheating be any different?

It really depends on the situation. I think we've all done things drunk that when we wake up we have absolutely no idea why we did them. But do we want to be with someone that when they go out they cheat on you? To be constantly worrying when they're at the pub with their friends or on a night out?
It's also hard to think that rationally when you find out your partner has cheated on you, which must be pretty horrible.
Drink is not an excuse for cheating.
Original post by intelligent con

The law reflects this by making sex with a severely intoxicated person rape.

Only if they're physically unable to say something along the lines of "yes" ie unconscious or basically unable to speak/move. Not quite the same as still being in an ok state to instigate things with girls you're not with.
Is it okay to punch your face if I'm drunk?
You know what they say, in vino veritas. If you're drunk but lucid enough to give consent/initiate sex it is absolutely cheating. Maybe monogamous relationships aren't for you, fair enough, just be honest about it.
Reply 25
Being drunk is no excuse for anything unless you are at the point where you have barely any control over your motor functions or, of course, you are unconscious.
Are you high yourself ?
You sound in some deep set denial, my friend; either she cheated on you, or you cheated on her- At the end of the day, cheating was done. Someone cheated.
Lmao Con this is hands down the most stupid thread you've made. It's despicable that you think being drunk is an excuse for cheating.
This is a difficult question to answer on my part because I personally have never let myself become SO drunk that I have lost total control of my urges or inhibitions, but I also know that in a moral sense I would never want to cheat on anyone that I was in a relationship with. Then again, when you are drunk your inhibitions are lowered somewhat, but that does not give you the excuse to cheat.

I have also heard it argued that drinking and being drunk does not put any ideas into a person's mind that wasn't there already, whether that be an insecurity within their present relationship, or a plain feeling of desire for someone else. Obviously drunkenness does cause you to lose control but if you are in a serious, loving relationship then I think that it is important to at least have some self-control and responsibility.
Reply 30
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
This is a difficult question to answer on my part because I personally have never let myself become SO drunk that I have lost total control of my urges or inhibitions, but I also know that in a moral sense I would never want to cheat on anyone that I was in a relationship with. Then again, when you are drunk your inhibitions are lowered somewhat, but that does not give you the excuse to cheat.

I have also heard it argued that drinking and being drunk does not put any ideas into a person's mind that wasn't there already, whether that be an insecurity within their present relationship, or a plain feeling of desire for someone else. Obviously drunkenness does cause you to lose control but if you are in a serious, loving relationship then I think that it is important to at least have some self-control and responsibility.

Your latter point is spot on. If someone is truly committed to a relationship, no amount of drunkenness will sway them. There are many lines I will cross while drunk...but while I was in a relationship, no matter how paralytic or incoherent I got, I know I would never have accepted the advances of somebody else. (though I never got tested in this regard, so I guess I can't say it with 100% assurance lol). When people get drunk they engage in activities that they kind of wanted to engage in anyway, they don't become someone else entirely.
If that is so then why have the UK police got a law stating “drunk and disorderly” why is it not just actions of disorderly conduct ? Because when you are intoxicated you are obviously not thinking straight and do things you would not do if you were sober, I am not saying cheating it’s okay in any way shape or form but just look at it this way if you was walking down the street sober and sauna looked at you funny you wouldn’t think anything of it but if someone walked down the street and looked at you funny when you was drunk you would think they wanted to fight you or rob you or something on those lines, and finally Like I said about the drunken disorderly if been drunk wasn’t such a bad thing and it didn’t matter about what your actions were when drunk then why is there a law about being drunk and disorderly and why do they consider been drunk to have a value in raping someone ?? And rape is the lowest of the low and is absolutely disgusting but if you still think having a drink has nothing to do with being a cheat then why the heck is been highly intoxicated got something to do with something in the law and especially when raping someone ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending