The Student Room Group

How should I mention illness on my personal statement?

I am looking to apply to university but don't know how to mention illness in my personal statement without is being the sole focus. I was studying at univeristy some years ago and contracted a rare form of pnumoina so I had to leave. Once I was better I tried to study again (at a different uni) and sustained a back injury. I am now fully but and want to return to studies but I feel this could look bad on my personal statement. I am very studious and have good grades but struggling as to how to put this into writing.

Thank you.
Original post by Countrygirl4
I am looking to apply to university but don't know how to mention illness in my personal statement without is being the sole focus. I was studying at univeristy some years ago and contracted a rare form of pnumoina so I had to leave. Once I was better I tried to study again (at a different uni) and sustained a back injury. I am now fully but and want to return to studies but I feel this could look bad on my personal statement. I am very studious and have good grades but struggling as to how to put this into writing.

Thank you.

I think the approach is your referee can mention it, but you shouldn't on your PS
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I think the approach is your referee can mention it, but you shouldn't on your PS

Hi and thank you. I am not sure as my referee is someone I worked with and couldn't say if they know about my illness as it happened afterwards.
Reply 3

Thank you.

Your PS should be forward-looking and about your passion for your subject - not about a prior illness. You don't need to mention either illness/injury at all.

Edit: by the way, have you checked how your prior circumstances might affect your student finance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi and thank you. I am not sure as my referee is someone I worked with and couldn't say if they know about my illness as it happened afterwards.

Im not quite sure what the protocol is. There are plenty of PS reviewers on TSR.

I think you can use it , but be brief and use it as something that motivated you or you overcame leading you to make the application. So how you pitch it is the key, they wont really want to know about your suffering. Keep it relevant.

Ps looking at your explanation then it should be straightforward to keep it off as its not needed, especially as you already have the grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you for the replies.

I'm still confused as some say to mention & be brief and some say to not mention at all. I had a thought of contacting my physiotherapist to supply evidence and would this be appropriate to send with my PS? Also, is this a personal statement checker on here?
Reply 6
Thank you for the replies.

I'm still confused as some say to mention & be brief and some say to not mention at all. I had a thought of contacting my physiotherapist to supply evidence and would this be appropriate to send with my PS? Also, is this a personal statement checker on here?

Don't mention it unless you particularly want to. It's not relevant.

The TSR review service is here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26458-Get-your-personal-statement-draft-reviewed-by-a-TSR-PS-reviewer

PS. Did you see my earlier edit regarding student finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Don't mention it unless you particularly want to. It's not relevant.

The TSR review service is here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26458-Get-your-personal-statement-draft-reviewed-by-a-TSR-PS-reviewer

PS. Did you see my earlier edit regarding student finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

I feel I should as I am sure the university will want to know what I have been doing until now,
and yes, how could I find more information and how would it affect me?
It shouldn't be in your personal statement but it should be in your reference if you would like to mention it. Your personal statement should be dedicated to express your passion for the course and should be a positive letter and shouldn't really mention anything negative. Also, it would be a waste of characters that you could use to talk about the course you want to do.
Reply 9
Thank you.

I feel I should as I am sure the university will want to know what I have been doing until now,

No. A PS is not a CV. You don't need to mention it at all.

And check the SFE website for how illnesses, etc (mitigating​ circumstances) affect your funding. Unless you can show mitigating circumstances you may not be able to claim funding for all the years of your next course.
Original post by Fermion.
It shouldn't be in your personal statement but it should be in your reference if you would like to mention it. Your personal statement should be dedicated to express your passion for the course and should be a positive letter and shouldn't really mention anything negative. Also, it would be a waste of characters that you could use to talk about the course you want to do.

Thank you. I feel I should as I am sure the university will want to know what I have been doing until now as I have been focusing on my health and getting better. Do you think I should include evidence from my physio?
Thank you. I feel I should as I am sure the university will want to know what I have been doing until now as I have been focusing on my health and getting better. Do you think I should include evidence from my physio?

Get your physio to write to your referee and they can explain the situation.

It does not belong in your PS.
Thank you.

If thats your reason, then I wouldnt bother.. PQs suggestion makes much more sense. and the advantage is it allows you to focus on your motivation, not life story.

Hate to be belts and braces about this, but you can easily contact and check with each of the unis and form an opinion then. If its on your reference then you have more space to persuading why they should pick you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Thank you.

There are some universities that state you MUST put it on your personal statement (for mitigating circumstances).

Just include it and say how it's strengthened you, doesn't it have to be a sob fest or anything.
Reply 14
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
There are some universities that state you MUST put it on your personal statement (for mitigating circumstances).

Just include it and say how it's strengthened you, doesn't it have to be a sob fest or anything.

Which ones?

AFAIK most (all?) have separate "extenuating circumstances" forms.

A PS is definitely not the place for it.
Reply 15

I am not sure universities are always interested in everything you have been doing up until the point you applied. It's not a job application. For example, I have been applying for a masters degree and not been at university for years, they don't want to know everything I have been doing in the intervening years, only relevant job experience. They have no interest in gaps in employment etc... please just show passion for the subject!

Just to note I have been successful in all my university applications over the years, and not included personal stuff in personal statements, simply passion and motivations for the subjects. I too have had illnesses, taken time out to have babies, it's is NOT relevant to your personal statement.

Goodluck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Which ones?

AFAIK most (all?) have separate "extenuating circumstances" forms.

A PS is definitely not the place for it.

Seen it stated for medicine generally everywhere, have a look.

Some want it mentioned on the PS and form
Hello all!

Just thought I'd pop back on to let you know I have received and accepted my offer at the University of Sheffield.

Hope everyone is well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending