The Student Room Group

No tuition fee loan...confused

Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I started a midwifery course in 2015 but was only in it for a year and two months and left. I was receiving a bursary the whole time and the smaller student loan that you can get with it. I have re-applied to study social work in September but they only gave me a maintenance loan and adult dependants grant. I've never had a tuition fee loan and am wondering why I didn't get one for my new course. It's a three year undergrad course. Any answers to this or should I just call them?

Also, they have the wrong campus for where I am going to study at even though I put Stratford the award says Docklands Campus. (This is for university of East London).

Carey
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Careybear
Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I started a midwifery course in 2015 but was only in it for a year and two months and left. I was receiving a bursary the whole time and the smaller student loan that you can get with it. I have re-applied to study social work in September but they only gave me a maintenance loan and adult dependants grant. I've never had a tuition fee loan and am wondering why I didn't get one for my new course. It's a three year undergrad course. Any answers to this or should I just call them?

Also, they have the wrong campus for where I am going to study at even though I put Stratford the award says Docklands Campus. (This is for university of East London).

Carey

You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. Partial years count as a full year. It doesn't matter whether you got a tuition fee loan for your previous course.

Student finance work backwards; so you'd get full funding for years 2 and 3.
Reply 2
So why didn't they give me a tuition fee loan then? It is a social work course and it's my first year and they don't have bursaries for the first year so I should get a tuition fee loan correct? Although, when I looked at my account online they have me starting in 2015 because that's when my 1st year of my midwifery course started which I needed a tuition loan for. I think I need to call them and get it sorted.

Carey
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. Partial years count as a full year. It doesn't matter whether you got a tuition fee loan for your previous course.

Student finance work backwards; so you'd get full funding for years 2 and 3.

I'm actually at minus 6 the man said when I called because they count university time in another country as part of the years in that equation even if they're not seen as a first degree here. I have a BA in Psychology from Michigan State in the U.S. and they're counting my four years and my two years at King's College...so I don't get a Tuition fee loan....damn!! Only needed it for one year so i get to take it out of my maintenance loan and adult dependent grant...which will leave me £2016 left over for the rest of the year :frown:. Good thing I still have my online job.

Carey

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending