The Student Room Group

Eligibility decision past to uni?

Hi,

Due to spending 2 of the last 30 years working outside of the UK my future university originally classed me as an international student. After proving to them that this absence was temporary (Maintained close links with the UK, fixed term work visas etc), they changed me to home fee status as I maintained my ordinary residence.

It was quite a long process but I got there in the end. Now I'm about to go through it all again with student finance. If student finance deems me ineligible, will they inform the university of their decision and suggest they change their mind?

I might be able to borrow some money from my family for home fees but certainly not international fees.
Original post by chrisf17
Hi,

Due to spending 2 of the last 30 years working outside of the UK my future university originally classed me as an international student. After proving to them that this absence was temporary (Maintained close links with the UK, fixed term work visas etc), they changed me to home fee status as I maintained my ordinary residence.

It was quite a long process but I got there in the end. Now I'm about to go through it all again with student finance. If student finance deems me ineligible, will they inform the university of their decision and suggest they change their mind?

I might be able to borrow some money from my family for home fees but certainly not international fees.

It's possible but unlikely. Universities make their own assessments of fee status - these are not usually affected by student finance decisions (and where they are it's usually in the applicant's favour - an applicant awarded student finance might have their fee status changed from international to home because of the SFE decision).

Your university will know if your fees are being paid by SFE - if you pay your fees directly and not via a loan then your university wont know if that's because you were refused or because you did not apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending