The Student Room Group

I want to apply for student finance, might cancel later on,

So i want to apply for student finance. I am an EU student and am aware i can only get a tuition fee loan, not a maintenance loan as i have been living here for only 4 years. my queries:

1. Is there any other sort of funding that i can receive besides the tuition fee? This would be to help with my living costs. I had heard that if you have a job you can actually get another loan from student finance.

2. If i apply now, can i cancel later? This would be because i as a Dutch student can only receive a tuition fee and i might seek loans from elsewhere that would help me with living costs as well. I might try and get funding from the Netherlands instead if that would help with my living costs as well. I can not receive funding from the Netherlands if i receive funding from any other source, including a tuition fee loan I believe

any help would be really appreciated
Original post by alliblue
So i want to apply for student finance. I am an EU student and am aware i can only get a tuition fee loan, not a maintenance loan as i have been living here for only 4 years. my queries:

1. Is there any other sort of funding that i can receive besides the tuition fee? This would be to help with my living costs. I had heard that if you have a job you can actually get another loan from student finance.

2. If i apply now, can i cancel later? This would be because i as a Dutch student can only receive a tuition fee and i might seek loans from elsewhere that would help me with living costs as well. I might try and get funding from the Netherlands instead if that would help with my living costs as well. I can not receive funding from the Netherlands if i receive funding from any other source, including a tuition fee loan I believe

1. No there isn't any other central funding aside from tuition fee loans. Your universities might offer bursaries that you would be eligible for but you need to check with them directly.

2. Yes - if you don't start a course not a penny is paid.

If you've been in the UK for 4 years now then if you take a gap year you'll meet the residence requirements for a maintenance loan for starting in 2018.
Original post by alliblue

Hi,

To answer your queries:

1. If you are an EU National working in the UK during your studies, you could be eligible for a Maintenance Loan through our Migrant Worker team.

2. If you make your application now and decide that you want to cancel your application later, you can do so.

Thanks
Reply 3
Thanks to the both of you for your answers, incredibly helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi,

To answer your queries:

1. If you are an EU National working in the UK during your studies, you could be eligible for a Maintenance Loan through our Migrant Worker team.

2. If you make your application now and decide that you want to cancel your application later, you can do so.

Thanks

So continuing from the working thing, Do i have to be employed in the UK when applying or can i apply now on the promise, and perhaps proof, that i will be employed during my studies? I could find a job during the summer as well to support my application.
Hi alliblue,

Thank you for your question.

You can apply even if you are not still employed but your application will remain pended until you send enough evidence for your employment which is normally

Copy of Employment Contract

Most recent P60 and last 3 months payslips or most recent Self Assessed Tax return (self employed)

As you won't have the latter, I would recommend sending as much evidence as possible. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thank you,
Kruti
Reply 6
Original post by Kruti Popat
Hi alliblue,

Thank you for your question.

You can apply even if you are not still employed but your application will remain pended until you send enough evidence for your employment which is normally

Copy of Employment Contract

Most recent P60 and last 3 months payslips or most recent Self Assessed Tax return (self employed)

As you won't have the latter, I would recommend sending as much evidence as possible. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Thank you,
Kruti

Thanks a lot Kruti! that's my queries answered for now :smile:
You're welcome. Glad I could help :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending