The Student Room Group

unprotected sex, last night, pull-out method, morning-after pill needed or not?

The pull-out was well clear, so none of that got inside me, it s just the pre-*** I m a tad concerned about.

However there was only one ejaculation, and I think two would have increased the chances.

Should I take a morning after pill or should I be ok?

I've read somehing like its 4% chance pregnant so pretty low anyway. Should I take morning-after-pill as a precaution or not?

Ta.
Original post by Anonymous
The pull-out was well clear, so none of that got inside me, it s just the pre-*** I m a tad concerned about.

However there was only one ejaculation, and I think two would have increased the chances.

Should I take a morning after pill or should I be ok?

I've read somehing like its 4% chance pregnant so pretty low anyway. Should I take morning-after-pill as a precaution or not?

Ta.

Some americian studies have suggested it's more like a 15% to 30% failure rate, it'd be best to take the precaution and get some proper contraception sorted out
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Some americian studies have suggested it's more like a 15% to 30% failure rate, it'd be best to take the precaution and get some proper contraception sorted out

do these studies tend not to be done over a YEAR of a couple solely relying on the pull-out method or something like that?

as a pose to a ONS
do these studies tend not to be done over a YEAR of a couple solely relying on the pull-out method or something like that?

as a pose to a ONS

The risk of every contraceptive form is done over a year, so if you compared that to much lower failure rates of condoms or hormonal forms. If it was an ONS all the more reason to take the precaution just in case, you don't even need to go to a doctor, many pharmacies can give out the morning after pill these days.
Better safe than sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The risk of every contraceptive form is done over a year, so if you compared that to much lower failure rates of condoms or hormonal forms. If it was an ONS all the more reason to take the precaution just in case, you don't even need to go to a doctor, many pharmacies can give out the morning after pill these days.

condom 5% failure. same as pull-out?

unless you are bias toward the 19% studies over the 4% studies...
condom 5% failure. same as pull-out?

unless you are bias toward the 19% studies over the 4% studies...

Seemingly you want to take that risk regardless of what that percentage is?
Reply 7
Seemingly you want to take that risk regardless of what that percentage is?

I didn't say that
I'm trying to look at the facts properly...is that not the right thing to do? Would I have the morning after-pill after using a condom? no?... then looking at the facts doesn't quite add up does it?
Reply 8
likelihood x severity = risk. I would say the likelihood is low. You can judge the severity..
When's your next period due?

Even if it's in 14 days time, i.e. you've probably just ovulated, then the risk of pregnancy is very low. (And given that the 'morning after pill' primarily works by delaying ovulation, it'd be pointless to take it.)
Original post by unprinted
When's your next period due?

Even if it's in 14 days time, i.e. you've probably just ovulated, then the risk of pregnancy is very low. (And given that the 'morning after pill' primarily works by delaying ovulation, it'd be pointless to take it.)

sperm lives for 5 days?
Therefore would you not put, egg-release day (14), plus or minus 5 days, all at the same risk?
It doesn't work like that, not least because it's 'up to five days'. Even at it's highest chance - the day just before and the day of ovulation - the odds are somewhere between 30% & 50% with a full ejaculation.

If you've already ovulated, and you want to be even more sure you're not pregnant, look at the IUD as emergency contraception. It can be done for longer after the sex and works as a long-term method of contraception too.

Quick Reply

Latest