The Student Room Group

Should I quit my part time job?

I am currentley working in fast food and have been since mid May, however the first month was training at another shop and I have just moved to a new one.
I hate my job.
Although I asked for only 12 hours to begin with, I have consistently been given up to 30 hours, despite having asked for fewer. These shifts are generally 9 hours long with a half hour break in between. I come home exhausted. I feel like I can't complain about my shifts, because there are people working much longer and harder hours (up to 5.30 AM!!!), but I am so tired after working that the next day I just slob out. This means that I am getting dangerously behind in my coursework for my three a level subjects (going into second year of college in September)... which I know is my fault, but I can't seem to motivate myself. As well as this, I am highly awkward which means that I haven't made friends so the work is boring. I'm also quite sensitive and having 3 people shout at me at the same time stresses me out.
But the people are nice and the managers are ok about me taking days off over the holiday to go to visit uni etc. which I know would be more difficult in a smaller independent shop. I feel like it wouldn't be fair for me to quit 3 months in after only just completing my training, but I feel really flat just thinking about going back to work again.
My mum thinks I should stick it out for the experience.
I don't know what to do T.T
My outlook on these situations is that if a job is making you miserable and impacting on your life (e.g college) then quit. You've made it clear you want fewer hours yet they continue to give more to you, they're not being accommodating at all. Plus you're living at home which is obviously a huge reason why it's okay. I don't quite understand the philosophy of parents in these situations, as you could just get another job that does work for you. Start looking immediately for a new job, do try to not quit until you have another one secured, but if it's really affecting you then I wouldn't blame you for quitting.
Dump that job like cold tea. (Seriously mate, throw it.)
Quit

"Stick it out for the experience." Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. IOW let me go toil away in the gulags for pittance for the sake of some transcendent experience I'm supposed to be getting
school comes first, if it is impacting college then you should quit. However it is the summer holidays so I think you should quite before college starts again? so that you've build up enough experience to put on your CV if you're planning on finding an easier job, good luck :smile: i understand the pain of working long hour shift, so horrible on the feet :frown:
Reply 5
Thank you for all your advice :smile:
I really don't know how long I can stick it, but I think I'm going to try for September, then quit when I restart college. With the hours they are giving me now, I can't imagine doing both :eek: I've applied for Waterstones etc. where the hours wouldn't be so long and late. Wish me luck...
Your education is far more important than a part time job in a fast food chain. Waterstones would be a better option for you as they won't stay open as late, plus you already have experience in a customer facing role.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending