The Student Room Group

Good laptop/notebook to buy for studying maths at uni?

Going to be studying at Durham if it makes any difference

Preferably less than £400

I imagine i'll mostly be using it for typing up notes, but I believe I also have to use programmes such as Matlab
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BurdMan

Are there any programs or features you would need that are specific to this course? If not, I could move this thread over to our Laptops, netbooks and tablets forum for some general advice. :smile: Also, what is your budget?
Original post by BurdMan

Budget? What will you be using it for?
Reply 3
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Are there any programs or features you would need that are specific to this course? If not, I could move this thread over to our Laptops, netbooks and tablets forum for some general advice. :smile: Also, what is your budget?

I believe I'd need to use programs such as MatLab

A computer is a computer, the only maths requirements I can imagine are dealing with hand written equations for which I find my touchscreen 2-in-1 device with a stylus pen very useful for.

Some idea of budget and what software you use along with a list of wants from the device are needed.
Reply 5

<£400 if possible
Original post by BurdMan
<£400 if possible

And what software do you use?

Big screen or smaller screen?

Battery life?

Any specific requirements that are worth mentioning?
Reply 7
Original post by BigYoSpeck
And what software do you use?

Big screen or smaller screen?

Battery life?

Any specific requirements that are worth mentioning?

I've heard 4GB of RAM is the minimum, not too fussed about the screen size as long as its above 14".

Not sure how long the battery life should be? I'm not entirely clear on what I'm looking for tbh

Windows would be great

And yeah I really should have put all this stuff in my OP lol
I have one here, all in one mac 24 inch should do the job. It's on eBay you can buy it through that. I have had MATLAB on it. It's only £150 + postage.
Original post by BurdMan
I've heard 4GB of RAM is the minimum, not too fussed about the screen size as long as its above 14".

Not sure how long the battery life should be? I'm not entirely clear on what I'm looking for tbh

Windows would be great

And yeah I really should have put all this stuff in my OP lol

This may be the laptop for you, from what you've said: http://bit.ly/2usj1OP :smile:
Original post by BurdMan

I tend to say if you don't know why you need more than 4gb you probably don't need more than 4gb. Above 14" or including and above 14"?

You can get cheaper devices that will do 3-4 hours of battery life, and you can find devices that are either slightly more expensive or that cut back on the component specification slightly to give you longer battery life. My device, for instance, does about 8-9 hours of use on a single charge which is really handy if I'm in class all day as it will last me right the way through. If you aren't the type to have their laptop on for the entire day in every lecture then you might feel comfortable with a 3-4 hours device.

Windows would be great

Cheap option: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361811681981?clk_rvr_id=1275544255369&rmvSB=true

Mid priced option: https://www.tesco.com/direct/medion-akoya-s3409-133-laptop-intel-core-i3-7100u-4gb-256gb-ssd-windows-10/484-3222.prd?

Slightly above budget option: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332162715066
Reply 11
I haven't got any advice about buying a laptop but I would recommended that you download Microsoft Word's Maths add-on.
Original post by Desmos
I haven't got any advice about buying a laptop but I would recommended that you download Microsoft Word's Maths add-on.

or learn LaTeX.
Reply 13
Original post by Blue_Cow
or learn LaTeX.

The use of the add-on lies in its ability to produce graphs and evaluate myriad mathematical functions.
Original post by Desmos

Keep an eye out for Microsofts whiteboard app which is due out this Autumn. It will allow real time collaboration as well as equations and graphing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRA7HFk5a5w
If its going from your room to campus regularly, you'll want something light, so I'd avoid going over 14inches and check the weight
Even at sub £400 you'll find plenty of laptops with 8gb, but if you can find one with an SSD, it will help keep your laptop fast for longer. I'd take an SSD hard drive over the extra ram unless you're doing anything with images video or gaming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending