The Student Room Group

Sixth Form and Friends

Hi, I will be going into sixth form and I am very worried because I don't have many friends and this is a problem as I am taking 3 A-levels, I will have free periods and in my sixth form people usually hang around with their friends or go places... My friends will taking 4-5 a-levels so they may have a lesson where I have a free period and I am worried because in the sixth form centre it is usually really filled up and I will be sitting by my own in which it will be embarrasing. In science there is alot of practical work and this was a problem in GCSE where I had noone to work with, this may eb a problem in sixth form as well. I got good GCSE results ( could've done better if there wasn't the friends situation) and I wish to do well in my A-levels too but if I have to worry about this everyday it may ultimately affect my grades :frown:
Does anyone have any advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

many others will be in the same boat. I used to go around and talk to other people in the canteen.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
many others will be in the same boat. I used to go around and talk to other people in the canteen.

The problem is that I am staying in my own sixth form and everyone knows each other and noone really likes me so it will be hard to make friends with them :frown:
The problem is that I am staying in my own sixth form and everyone knows each other and noone really likes me so it will be hard to make friends with them :frown:

You will still get people from other schools. I'd advise making friends with them. But on the plus side you will be less distracted during your frees... they are for doing work after all. :wink:
Me too :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by AnnieGakusei
You will still get people from other schools. I'd advise making friends with them. But on the plus side you will be less distracted during your frees... they are for doing work after all. :wink:

Thank you and does everyone still have lunchtime and breaktime at the same time...
Thank you and does everyone still have lunchtime and breaktime at the same time...

They did in my sixth form, I'd assume this is true of other sixth forms.
My friends will taking 4-5 a-levels so they may have a lesson where I have a free period and I am worried because in the sixth form centre it is usually really filled up and I will be sitting by my own in which it will be embarrasing.

Is this really the kind of thing people other than myself find embarassing?
Hi, I will be going into sixth form and I am very worried because I don't have many friends and this is a problem as I am taking 3 A-levels, I will have free periods and in my sixth form people usually hang around with their friends or go places... My friends will taking 4-5 a-levels so they may have a lesson where I have a free period and I am worried because in the sixth form centre it is usually really filled up and I will be sitting by my own in which it will be embarrasing. In science there is alot of practical work and this was a problem in GCSE where I had noone to work with, this may eb a problem in sixth form as well. I got good GCSE results ( could've done better if there wasn't the friends situation) and I wish to do well in my A-levels too but if I have to worry about this everyday it may ultimately affect my grades :frown:

I just finished sixth form and will be starting uni, throughout sixth form I only had 3 friends I would talk to on a regular basis 2 of which I could talk with openly. So I guess you could say I only had two real friends, friends who I still talk to today. Its not about how many friends you have it's about who you have. As for the frees in the first 2-3 weeks you wont have much work to do. After that the work load gets intense. I personally would advise you to use your frees to your advantage and do work in them.
Reply 9
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Is this really the kind of thing people other than myself find embarassing?

I really wouldn't care about this situation if people weren't so judgemental, In year 11 when I did sit on my own people would make fun of me or usually stare.
Original post by waqas_hussain98
I just finished sixth form and will be starting uni, throughout sixth form I only had 3 friends I would talk to on a regular basis 2 of which I could talk with openly. So I guess you could say I only had two real friends, friends who I still talk to today. Its not about how many friends you have it's about who you have. As for the frees in the first 2-3 weeks you wont have much work to do. After that the work load gets intense. I personally would advise you to use your frees to your advantage and do work in them.

Were there people in your sixth form that would revise in every free period as that is the best option for me :smile:
Were there people in your sixth form that would revise in every free period as that is the best option for me :smile:

Not every free period they would take some breaks but I saw that when exam time was nearing. I would advise you to do any work you need to do in your frees and make revision notes/materials as you go along. Do not wait a few months before your exams to make all your notes, make them before as you learn about a topic.
Original post by waqas_hussain98
Not every free period they would take some breaks but I saw that when exam time was nearing. I would advise you to do any work you need to do in your frees and make revision notes/materials as you go along. Do not wait a few months before your exams to make all your notes, make them before as you learn about a topic.

Also, are you allowed to take food (packed lunch or canteen food) into the sixth form centre in free's and lunchtimes? :smile:
Reply 13
I think that there will be people studying in their free periods, at the college I'm going to there is a silent study area, which has separate desks not tables so no one would know if you were with your friends or not. Do you know that there isn't somewhere like this at your sixth form? If not, I'd just say sit at a table with a few other people at it, who look like they're doing some work not just talking. This way, other people who come into the library won't know that they're not your friends won't laugh at you. You might even make some friends this way, who you could hang around with during your frees because a lot of people will be in the same boat as you.

Also, about the practicals in science, it's very likely that people won't get to work with the same partner they did at GCSE because not everyone takes it. That means a lot of people might not have partners and you may just end up working with whoever you sit next to, or whoever doesn't have a partner. This may end up being a good thing in terms of making friends because it will force you to talk to people in your classes even if you don't want to. I hope it goes alright for you, I'm really worried about starting college too.
(edited 6 years ago)

People are nicer at a level compared to gcse
Original post by Thea89
I think that there will be people studying in their free periods, at the college I'm going to there is a silent study area, which has separate desks not tables so no one would know if you were with your friends or not. Do you know that there isn't somewhere like this at your sixth form? If not, I'd just say sit at a table with a few other people at it, who look like they're doing some work not just talking. This way, other people who come into the library won't know that they're not your friends won't laugh at you. You might even make some friends this way, who you could hang around with during your frees because a lot of people will be in the same boat as you. I hope it goes alright for you, I'm really worried about starting college too.

Thank you for your advice :h: and yes I do have a sixth form centre which I will be going to in my free's but I highly doubt that I will make friends because alot of people don't like me in my school but that means more time for revision
Any more answers are appreciated :h:
People are nicer at a level compared to gcse

I realise this but I'm going to the same sixth form with the same people but there could be a possibility that they could to be nicer :dontknow:
Also, are you allowed to take food (packed lunch or canteen food) into the sixth form centre in free's and lunchtimes? :smile:

Rules vary at every school in some schools you may not be able to eat or drink in free period(which I doubt is the case) normally from my experience you cannot eat in certain rooms. In my school the computer room which everyone could use and the library were two places you weren't allowed to eat it. If I was in a room which was empty and not being used I would sometimes eat while working or eat my lunch a little early
Are you allowed to leave school at lunch time and break?

If you live close you could eat at home and revise or at a nearby park

The science bit is a bit tough because there isn't many solutions, you could try and partner with the person sat next to you or maybe try and become confident on your own and work on your own, but that's easier said than done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending