The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for universities.

I have just finished my first year of A levels but gained very poor grades (EEDU). these grades do not count as long as i go on to A2 however, i failed french which is what i wanted to study at university. i have decided to re sit year 12 so i can boost my grades up however i am not able to study french as my college are not running it in September. i have been looking online and i was wondering if anyone knew of any universities that allow you to study french as perhaps part of a combined honors degree without needing an A level in a language?
Reply 1
Original post by undecidedfanatic
I have just finished my first year of A levels but gained very poor grades (EEDU). these grades do not count as long as i go on to A2 however, i failed french which is what i wanted to study at university. i have decided to re sit year 12 so i can boost my grades up however i am not able to study french as my college are not running it in September. i have been looking online and i was wondering if anyone knew of any universities that allow you to study french as perhaps part of a combined honors degree without needing an A level in a language?

You can look for ab initio courses in French, which don't require prior knowledge, that obviously will be combined with something else
thank you
Original post by undecidedfanatic
I have just finished my first year of A levels but gained very poor grades (EEDU). these grades do not count as long as i go on to A2 however,

Remember that if these grades represent qualifications rather than just internal school mocks you MUST declare them on your UCAS application, even if you got a U or resit the subject.

A university might be nervous about admitting a student to an ab initio course if they haven't got a good track record of language learning (it's very much in at the deep end) so if there are extenuating circumstances that have affected your grades this year you should make sure these are included in your application. If there is an opportunity to pick up another language, even at GCSE level, while at college that might help your application by showing that you are a strong language learner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending