The Student Room Group

Lonely Freshers Week Anyone?

Hey, how is everyone?

I know there's LOADS of posts like this, and I've looked at countless of them, but I just kind of wanted to do one for my own situation specifically for anyone who could be bothered to read it. I'm quite a shy person, so putting it on here is easier for me. Maybe putting it down in words could be therapeutic in some way, who knows?

It's freshers just now, and I'm currently sitting feeling alone and a bit pathetic in my flat. My new flat mates are friendly, and I get on with them fine, but they don't have the same interests as I do. Different music taste, different TV we like, different sports (will have to join some clubs or societies and hope that's better, although showing up like some kind of loner doesn't fill me with excitement). Thing is, I'm not of the "let's go clubbing and get smashed" way of thinking. Don't really drink, which doesn't help, and find shouting at people over dance music isn't really much of a good time to me. I'm not judging, some people are into that, that's cool. I made an effort to try it the first few days, but it's not for me. I'd personally just rather go to some blues or rock gigs, watch a movie or the football or something, play the playstation with a few people, stuff like that. Then my flat mates are out all night, and I feel like I'm on the periphery. Like some kind of outsider looking in. It just really upsets me to be living in a flat with 4 other really friendly people, and still feel so alone.

Then when I speak to other people at intro meetings or first lectures or whatever, it's constantly the same (where you from?, what're you studying?, etc etc). Small talk. Then I see people slowly start to split into groups, and if I don't go out and do things that make me miserable I'm going to be left behind.

Also, like I imagine most people do the first time they move away from home, I miss my family and my home comforts, but it's only the first week. Like I said, just makes me feel a bit pathetic, especially when I'm even a bit older than the others and they don't feel the same. I know this will become easier, but just added to the previous stuff I mentioned it all adds up and I feel quite depressed.

I realise to some this will look like I just like to sit and feel sorry for myself, and mope and moan instead of going out and doing something about it, but I've tried my best so far and will keep trying. But that doesn't mean Im going to go places or do things that make me feel equally as uncomfortable. Hope everyone understands. I've also realised how long I've rambled, and that it probably makes no sense. If anyone wants to add anything, feel free. If not, thank you for sticking around this far, and just for reading it in general I suppose.
Original post by 2MK0
Hey, how is everyone?

I know there's LOADS of posts like this, and I've looked at countless of them, but I just kind of wanted to do one for my own situation specifically for anyone who could be bothered to read it. I'm quite a shy person, so putting it on here is easier for me. Maybe putting it down in words could be therapeutic in some way, who knows?

It's freshers just now, and I'm currently sitting feeling alone and a bit pathetic in my flat. My new flat mates are friendly, and I get on with them fine, but they don't have the same interests as I do. Different music taste, different TV we like, different sports (will have to join some clubs or societies and hope that's better, although showing up like some kind of loner doesn't fill me with excitement). Thing is, I'm not of the "let's go clubbing and get smashed" way of thinking. Don't really drink, which doesn't help, and find shouting at people over dance music isn't really much of a good time to me. I'm not judging, some people are into that, that's cool. I made an effort to try it the first few days, but it's not for me. I'd personally just rather go to some blues or rock gigs, watch a movie or the football or something, play the playstation with a few people, stuff like that. Then my flat mates are out all night, and I feel like I'm on the periphery. Like some kind of outsider looking in. It just really upsets me to be living in a flat with 4 other really friendly people, and still feel so alone.

Then when I speak to other people at intro meetings or first lectures or whatever, it's constantly the same (where you from?, what're you studying?, etc etc). Small talk. Then I see people slowly start to split into groups, and if I don't go out and do things that make me miserable I'm going to be left behind.

Also, like I imagine most people do the first time they move away from home, I miss my family and my home comforts, but it's only the first week. Like I said, just makes me feel a bit pathetic, especially when I'm even a bit older than the others and they don't feel the same. I know this will become easier, but just added to the previous stuff I mentioned it all adds up and I feel quite depressed.

I realise to some this will look like I just like to sit and feel sorry for myself, and mope and moan instead of going out and doing something about it, but I've tried my best so far and will keep trying. But that doesn't mean Im going to go places or do things that make me feel equally as uncomfortable. Hope everyone understands. I've also realised how long I've rambled, and that it probably makes no sense. If anyone wants to add anything, feel free. If not, thank you for sticking around this far, and just for reading it in general I suppose.

What I have highlighted right here in bold is your problem. You need to come out of your comfort zone to make any progress at university in terms of friends and extracurricular activities.

I see this over and over again in new undergraduate students - an willingness to try anything they are uncomfortable with - it holds you back and makes you miserable. You need to try new things and take an interest in what other people enjoy doing or like and they will reciprocate in due time.

You will be fine so long as you have an open mind and a willingness to try new things because that is what half of university is about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending