The Student Room Group

Getting a higher maintenance loan?

So I'm new to all this student finance stuff, but I've put my application through last week (very late I know) and I selected the standard maintenance loan (like £3000 and something) but my accommodation I'm potentially going to be staying in is around £125 a week, and I done a little calculation on the student finance calculator out of curiosity, and it says I could be entitled to around £5000 maintenance loan, but when I put the application through last week I was only given the two options of basic loan or advanced loan (don't know if they were the exact names they used).

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the point of that calculator if you aren't able to get that much? Or is there a way of getting that amount of a maintenance loan? (I hope this makes sense!)
Original post by hannahward08
So I'm new to all this student finance stuff, but I've put my application through last week (very late I know) and I selected the standard maintenance loan (like £3000 and something) but my accommodation I'm potentially going to be staying in is around £125 a week, and I done a little calculation on the student finance calculator out of curiosity, and it says I could be entitled to around £5000 maintenance loan, but when I put the application through last week I was only given the two options of basic loan or advanced loan (don't know if they were the exact names they used).

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the point of that calculator if you aren't able to get that much? Or is there a way of getting that amount of a maintenance loan? (I hope this makes sense!)

Hi Hannah,
The Student Finance calculator is used as a guide to determine how much funding may be available to student's based on questions that you answer.
The Level of Maintenance Loan available with depend on whether you apply for Non Means Tested(non income based, basic) or Means Tested (income based).
The level of Maintenance Loan is also determined by where you will be living or studying, as student who live away from home or live and study in London receive a higher rate that student's who will live with their parents.

Thanks
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Hannah,
The Student Finance calculator is used as a guide to determine how much funding may be available to student's based on questions that you answer.
The Level of Maintenance Loan available with depend on whether you apply for Non Means Tested(non income based, basic) or Means Tested (income based).
The level of Maintenance Loan is also determined by where you will be living or studying, as student who live away from home or live and study in London receive a higher rate that student's who will live with their parents.

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't remember getting the option to apply for a Non Means Tested or Means Tested loan, is that something I would of been asked on the student finance website? Or is there a different way to apply through that criteria?
Original post by hannahward08
Thanks for getting back to me. I don't remember getting the option to apply for a Non Means Tested or Means Tested loan, is that something I would of been asked on the student finance website? Or is there a different way to apply through that criteria?

Hi Hannah,

You would have been asked if you wish to apply based on Household Income on the application.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending