The Student Room Group

Am I lazy or just unmotivated?

I always hated school and college but (somewhat stupidly) decided to go to university in the hope that I'd enjoy what I did- biology. Boy was I wrong! I left at the end of first year with a 2:1- the issue isn't that I'm not smart or don't do my work in time and with a decent level of effort but I hated the course, when exams came round and I'd have coursework due in I'd work really hard because I didn't want to do badly but throughout the year I wouldn't bother much with lectures or getting involved with extra curricular things.
I'm now wanting to do veterinary nursing - something that I'm really hoping I'll enjoy! I've done lots of work experience and I didn't hate it but it wasn't great because obviously you can't actually do anything at all you just watch and clean which isn't the most interesting thing (although interesting surgeries were good to see). I think I'm going to do the apprenticeship route to qualify as I hope the physically doing stuff and also getting paid will motivate me more. The only trouble is that I'm worried I won't be motivated to do this just because every job I've had is a retail part time extra money type job and I've hated every second and not really cared about the money because I hate it so bad and always called in sick and stuff. Is this kind of normal for a crappy retail job? Or am I just fundamentally lazy and I'm going to do the same thing when I'm training to be a veterinary nurse? Obviously no one can know for sure until I start but what's everyone's opinion? If you think I'm a lazy b**** then say - I can handle it
Original post by Anonymous
I always hated school and college but (somewhat stupidly) decided to go to university in the hope that I'd enjoy what I did- biology. Boy was I wrong! I left at the end of first year with a 2:1- the issue isn't that I'm not smart or don't do my work in time and with a decent level of effort but I hated the course, when exams came round and I'd have coursework due in I'd work really hard because I didn't want to do badly but throughout the year I wouldn't bother much with lectures or getting involved with extra curricular things.
I'm now wanting to do veterinary nursing - something that I'm really hoping I'll enjoy! I've done lots of work experience and I didn't hate it but it wasn't great because obviously you can't actually do anything at all you just watch and clean which isn't the most interesting thing (although interesting surgeries were good to see). I think I'm going to do the apprenticeship route to qualify as I hope the physically doing stuff and also getting paid will motivate me more. The only trouble is that I'm worried I won't be motivated to do this just because every job I've had is a retail part time extra money type job and I've hated every second and not really cared about the money because I hate it so bad and always called in sick and stuff. Is this kind of normal for a crappy retail job? Or am I just fundamentally lazy and I'm going to do the same thing when I'm training to be a veterinary nurse? Obviously no one can know for sure until I start but what's everyone's opinion? If you think I'm a lazy b**** then say - I can handle it

Everyone has an element of laziness, but the difference between productive and unproductive people is how motivated you are to do something. You are most likely unmotivated, so should maybe reconsider what you truly want to do! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending