The Student Room Group

why do guys always think I’m flirting with them?

Even when I’m just being normal with guys, they think I’m flirting and I don’t get why. Close guy friends sometimes look at me blankly after I say something and say “are you flirting with me?” and guys have asked me out then are surprised when I reject them because I was “flirting”. How do I stop this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't really, unless you're giving them explicit links (touching a lot etc.) A lot of guys will just mistake female attention as meaning they're interested but that's really not your fault, you can't stop talking to people.
Reply 2
I agree with the first comment, it's just your personality and your friends should know you well enough to make you feel bad about it.
Reply 3
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You're just being friendly and the guys are misreading it as flirting.
Reply 4
i noticed that many times being kind = flirting(at least for them), so i guess you should be less kind to them? idk good luck with that
Original post by suga(r)
i noticed that many times being kind = flirting(at least for them), so i guess you should be less kind to them? idk good luck with that

Good luck keeping friends like that
Reply 6
Original post by suga(r)

I hate being rude lmao but I actually tried this with quite a few guys who then told me to “stop playing hard to get”
Reply 7
Original post by RLinds
I agree with the first comment, it's just your personality and your friends should know you well enough to make you feel bad about it.

But how do I stop this? I’m afraid that I look like I’m desperate and try it with every guy even when I’m not
Reply 8
Original post by Wikia
You can't really, unless you're giving them explicit links (touching a lot etc.) A lot of guys will just mistake female attention as meaning they're interested but that's really not your fault, you can't stop talking to people.

No I try not to touch them lmao. I know I can’t stop talking to people, so how shall I stop seeming so flirtatious? I made a friend recently who then asked me out and is now avoiding me because I “rejected him even though I gave him signs that I like him” so it basically ruined our friendship urgh
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Are you actually flirting with us now? Asking questions like these!

Hahaha seriously if I asked you this in person you would probably think I was
This happens to me with girls as well. I just tell them after a while that I don't want any flirting or sexual stuff going on if it gets weird lol. If they don't respect that after you've told them really plainly then they're immature and not worth being friends with.
(edited 6 years ago)
Try stating when you first meet them that you're not interested in a relationship or something like that. Try to fit it in a conversation. I think that way they'd be less likely to interpret your overt friendless as flirty. Also, do you treat other girls like this? Maybe if they see you treating others like that they'd realise they're not special. I Try being slightly over the top with it, treating everyone in that same friendly way and make sure they see, lol.
The majority of guys would take a smile as a sign you want to ****.

Try being more reserved and not laugh as much around them.
Give one word answers.
or subtly hint you have a crush on someone else
Original post by Jibola240
Try stating when you first meet them that you're not interested in a relationship or something like that. Try to fit it in a conversation. I think that way they'd be less likely to interpret your overt friendless as flirty. Also, do you treat other girls like this? Maybe if they see you treating others like that they'd realise they're not special. I Try being slightly over the top with it, treating everyone in that same friendly way and make sure they see, lol.

Good idea! Brb need to tell every guy I know I don’t want a boyfriend. Ye its true what you’re saying, if I’m the same with all guys, they’ll realise its just the way I am
Original post by hannah00
The majority of guys would take a smile as a sign you want to ****.

Try being more reserved and not laugh as much around them.
Give one word answers.
or subtly hint you have a crush on someone else

I told a guy I have a bf to stop him from thinking I’m flirting and he said “i can tell you don’t” .......what does that MEAN?
I told a guy I have a bf to stop him from thinking I’m flirting and he said “i can tell you don’t” .......what does that MEAN?

Some guys think its funny to say random stuff when you tell them you have a boyfriend, they think it makes them look confident.

I once told a guy I had a boyfriend and he said "I have a pet hamster, now lets stop talking about unimportant stuff", I was like wtf
It means he's a ****.

Hahah ye I kinda figured that one out but what did he actually MEAN?
What do you mean? He clearly is a **** and either (1) does not believe / respect you (2) does not care you have a BF and is still going for it - still not respecting you. Either way he is ****.

Eh, sounds like he was making a joke in an awkward situation, not every man is the devil.
Reply 18
100% true
Even when I’m just being normal with guys, they think I’m flirting and I don’t get why. Close guy friends sometimes look at me blankly after I say something and say “are you flirting with me?” and guys have asked me out then are surprised when I reject them because I was “flirting”. How do I stop this?

maybe you should just be less kind to the guys .then maybe they'll understand you are not flirting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending