The Student Room Group

Longest duration you've been unemployed and how'd you get back in employment

If you were unemployed for long, what steps did you take to get back into employment and what kind of jobs did you have?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Better part of a year between moving back from abroad and starting back at uni.
Original post by Ua3142
If you were unemployed for long, what steps did you take to get back into employment and what kind of jobs did you have?

Volunteering and Temporary agency work.
Reply 3
Original post by BritishGirl
Volunteering and Temporary agency work.

what kind of volunteering and temp agency work did you do?
Original post by Ua3142
what kind of volunteering and temp agency work did you do?

Mainly office work.
I'm assuming your not including when I was in Full time education? Then 2 months
Reply 6
6 months and it was awful. I was suicidal at times. I would spend all day looking for jobs and would apply for time that I wasn't suitable for.

My advice is just to keep busy and do something to get you out of the house.

I worked a couple of days a weeks at a fintech business which was really useful and helped to avoid having a gaping hole on my CV.
Original post by jb9390
6 months and it was awful. I was suicidal at times. I would spend all day looking for jobs and would apply for time that I wasn't suitable for.

My advice is just to keep busy and do something to get you out of the house.

I worked a couple of days a weeks at a fintech business which was really useful and helped to avoid having a gaping hole on my CV.

How did you get into Fintech? Related Degree?
Never been unemployed per se, but looking for relevant work in a graduate role often feels like an uphill battle that feels like unemployment.

What has become increasingly frustrating is the shortage of 'proper' substantial voluntary opportunities, which aren't ultra competitive internships.

For me, in the creative industry there are very few trainee roles, or even solid opportunities given voluntary outside of actual employment (which I struggle to get anyways).
About 2 months, so far. Going to start applying next week when my new cats will hopefully have settled in a bit more. There's a pub a two minute walk away which would be ideal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by royal1990
Never been unemployed per se, but looking for relevant work in a graduate role often feels like an uphill battle that feels like unemployment.

What has become increasingly frustrating is the shortage of 'proper' substantial voluntary opportunities, which aren't ultra competitive internships.

For me, in the creative industry there are very few trainee roles, or even solid opportunities given voluntary outside of actual employment (which I struggle to get anyways).

have you thought of being self employed? in terms of freelance or entrepreneurship?

and keep going, don't give up.
I got made redundant in December, still living dat jobless life. Boring as hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending