The Student Room Group

Support for student that is a parent

Hey,

I am looking at going to university this september. I will be 27 with a baby at home and a young son I pay support for.

Going to uni hinges on there being a combination of enough support available and finding a part time job to cover extra costs at home. Can anybody advise what extra support could be out there for someone in my situation?
Original post by keiranrussell
Hey,

I am looking at going to university this september. I will be 27 with a baby at home and a young son I pay support for.

Going to uni hinges on there being a combination of enough support available and finding a part time job to cover extra costs at home. Can anybody advise what extra support could be out there for someone in my situation?

Hi Keiran,

Just need to ask you a few questions?

Do you have a wife/partner? if so is your wife/partner working?
Is your child at childcare? do you receive childcare element of tax credits?

Thanks

Catherine
Hey, Thanks for getting back to me, she will be working by the time I start studies and makes £18k PAWe have not explored childcare options yet so unsure as she is currently on maternity. Regards,Keiran
Original post by keiranrussell
Hey, Thanks for getting back to me, she will be working by the time I start studies and makes £18k PAWe have not explored childcare options yet so unsure as she is currently on maternity. Regards,Keiran

Hi Keiranrussell,

Thanks very much for answering those questions.

Based on that information, you'd receive the maximum maintenance loan.

However, I can't give a definite answer on any further help such as Childcare grant and parents learning allowance. The assessment for this is a bit more complex, it is based on the household income, how many children you have and how much your childcare would cost. with the details you've provided, and not including any childcare costs, it would mean that you would not be entitled to those grants, however, this could change if you have to apply for the childcare grant.

I hope this information helps but please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending