The Student Room Group

Having breasts and ovaries/uterus removed? When is the best time for me to do this

17, female. When's the best time to have these surgeries? and what's the best way to talk to a doctor about this? Breast surgery is more likely to happen since breast cancer is in the family, but i don't have that type of medical reason for my ovaries/uterus;my period is just painful and the pill only made it worse. Plus i just don't see a reason for them, i'm not having kids in the future, since i'm not really into guys and i wouldn't be able to handle the process of pregnancy, let alone raise a child due to my mental health. I guess it's more of a personally thing, so how would i bring that up to a doctor? :smile: thank you in advance for the people that answer/help <3
Reply 1
Original post by pastelanonymous
17, female. When's the best time to have these surgeries? and what's the best way to talk to a doctor about this? Breast surgery is more likely to happen since breast cancer is in the family, but i don't have that type of medical reason for my ovaries/uterus;my period is just painful and the pill only made it worse. Plus i just don't see a reason for them, i'm not having kids in the future, since i'm not really into guys and i wouldn't be able to handle the process of pregnancy, let alone raise a child due to my mental health. I guess it's more of a personally thing, so how would i bring that up to a doctor? :smile: thank you in advance for the people that answer/help <3

I very much doubt anybody will be willing to remove healthy parts of you just for painful periods. That sort of surgery would be pretty intense. I think it would be a much better idea to go see your GP and talk about options. There are other treatments to prevent periods or make them less painful before removing parts of you.
Try some more options before undergoing anything like that.
Sadly this is one of those situations where a woman doesn't have much say over her body. You may be absolutely certain that you don't want children and you may make that for the best of reasons (raising a baby is hard enough without mental health issues to contend with!) but medically, they will not trust you to make this decision for yourself in case you change your mind.

I have friends who absolutely swear blind in their thirties that they don't want children and suffer massively with ovarian cysts and various other nasties but their doctors refuse to remove anything in case they change their mind and want children in the future.

What I would recommend is talking to your GP. What are the reasons for wanting parts of your body removing? You say there's breast cancer in the family as though you can use it as an excuse when you just want them going anyway. Getting some support regarding those feelings will really help you out and may lead to them understanding the reasons behind what you want doing.
I didn't mean for it to come off as an excuse when it came to the breast cancer, its just that my aunt had it late last year and is recovering now, so its more of a pre-caution. My body doesnt react well when it comes to being ill and i dont know how i would handle it if i got it at a later age (which seems to be happening to most of my relatives), but thank you for the advice!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by pastelanonymous
I didn't mean for it to come off as an excuse when it came to the breast cancer, its just that my aunt had it late last year and is recovering now, so its more of a pre-caution. My body doesnt react well when it comes to being ill and i dont know how i would handle it if i got it at a later age (which seems to be happening to most of my relatives), but thank you for the advice!

You should be eligible for screening and/or checks for this. If there's a high chance then you may be able to argue for them to remove them preemptively but there's no guarantee and different NHS trusts have different rules. GP is definitely the first port of call. Good luck!
For the painful periods, have you tried alternatives to the pill? (coil, patch, etc)
Isnt this something to be discussing with your doctor and the relevant medical charities? No idea at what stage or the risks and thats why you need to do the research and talk to the experts as suggested above. You may also want t give yourself the option of having kids. It is a drastic step and you cant know for sure now, what you might be like in 15 years time.
No surgeon is going to do that unless you are FtM trans
Unlikely you'll get any of these surgeries done at this age. Removing parts of your insides isn't a good solution to painful periods.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
A double mastectomy is something you could have done very early if the risk was high enough and it was felt necessary to prevent cancer. They’d then talk about reconstruction —it’s perhaps this element that stops surgeons balking at young women asking for this.

A hysterectomy though? That’s gonna be a hard sell. It’s difficult enough to get your tubes tied and most docs will want you to be a mother already. Which is sexist and presumptive but just how it is. Hysterectomy also kicks off hormonal changes that accelerate ageing and I think increase other health risks even with HRT.

There would have to be super severe pain from uterus before they would remove womb. Definitely worth investigating all other methods before this one whether you want children or not

Quick Reply

Latest