Applying to Disabled Students' Allowance for Depression

Watch
ohnoitssophie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!

I've been asked to give evidence of my disability (depression) for the student disability allowance. I've asked my GP to do the letter/report for me, but they said I have to put everything I want in the report in a letter and they'll pass it onto a doctor who will go through my medical history to put it together.

SFE are asking to confirm the long term "effects your disability has on your ability to carry out day to day activities including education", but I honestly don't know how to state in the letter how bad things can get without sounding like I'm exaggerating. Should I bullet point things? Write a paragraph?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please feel free to PM me if that would make you more comfortable!

Thanks in advance
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ohnoitssophie)
Hello!

I've been asked to give evidence of my disability (depression) for the student disability allowance. I've asked my GP to do the letter/report for me, but they said I have to put everything I want in the report in a letter and they'll pass it onto a doctor who will go through my medical history to put it together.

SFE are asking to confirm the long term "effects your disability has on your ability to carry out day to day activities including education", but I honestly don't know how to state in the letter how bad things can get without sounding like I'm exaggerating. Should I bullet point things? Write a paragraph?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please feel free to PM me if that would make you more comfortable!

Thanks in advance

Hi ohnoitssophie,

If you discuss your condition with your doctor, your doctor should provide that information in the letter that he writes.

The doctor will provide a diagnosis of your condition and whether or not your condition is long term (has lasted, or is likely to last 12 months or more).

In the letter needs to explain that your condition has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out daily activities

Regards Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
10.91%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (72)
65.45%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.73%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
1.82%

Watched Threads