The Student Room Group

Applying to Disabled Students' Allowance for Depression

Hello!

I've been asked to give evidence of my disability (depression) for the student disability allowance. I've asked my GP to do the letter/report for me, but they said I have to put everything I want in the report in a letter and they'll pass it onto a doctor who will go through my medical history to put it together.

SFE are asking to confirm the long term "effects your disability has on your ability to carry out day to day activities including education", but I honestly don't know how to state in the letter how bad things can get without sounding like I'm exaggerating. Should I bullet point things? Write a paragraph?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please feel free to PM me if that would make you more comfortable!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by ohnoitssophie
Hello!

I've been asked to give evidence of my disability (depression) for the student disability allowance. I've asked my GP to do the letter/report for me, but they said I have to put everything I want in the report in a letter and they'll pass it onto a doctor who will go through my medical history to put it together.

SFE are asking to confirm the long term "effects your disability has on your ability to carry out day to day activities including education", but I honestly don't know how to state in the letter how bad things can get without sounding like I'm exaggerating. Should I bullet point things? Write a paragraph?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please feel free to PM me if that would make you more comfortable!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi ohnoitssophie,

If you discuss your condition with your doctor, your doctor should provide that information in the letter that he writes.

The doctor will provide a diagnosis of your condition and whether or not your condition is long term (has lasted, or is likely to last 12 months or more).

In the letter needs to explain that your condition has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out daily activities

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending