The Student Room Group

My best friend doesn't speak, it is weird?

Hello TSR, I am going annoymous as I don't want anyone finding out mine or my friends identity.

You may think that I'm being silly, but i'm actually writing this on the verge of tears. My friend is so painfully shy that I'm actually considering just ditching her altogether.

When I say she is shy, I mean she is painfully shy. She doesn't speak to ANYONE in our school accept me, and she only speaks to me if I start up a conversation with her(Its like she can't start a conversation). Last week, my mum gave her a lift home from school and she didn't say a word to her the whole 15 minute ride home, and didn't even say thank you when she dropped her off at her house.

Other friends have commented on it too. Literally nobody in my school likes her because she is so quiet. People have even asked me "Has she got special needs or something?".

Please can someobody help me, why do you think she is so shy? Has she got autism or something?

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried talking to her about this?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you tried talking to her about this?

Ive asked her a few times, but everythime I ask her she says she doesn't know why shes so quiet
Original post by Anonymous
Hello TSR, I am going annoymous as I don't want anyone finding out mine or my friends identity.

You may think that I'm being silly, but i'm actually writing this on the verge of tears. My friend is so painfully shy that I'm actually considering just ditching her altogether.

When I say she is shy, I mean she is painfully shy. She doesn't speak to ANYONE in our school accept me, and she only speaks to me if I start up a conversation with her(Its like she can't start a conversation). Last week, my mum gave her a lift home from school and she didn't say a word to her the whole 15 minute ride home, and didn't even say thank you when she dropped her off at her house.

Other friends have commented on it too. Literally nobody in my school likes her because she is so quiet. People have even asked me "Has she got special needs or something?".

Please can someobody help me, why do you think she is so shy? Has she got autism or something?
Try to open her up to things, step by step. Don't ditch her, that's just a horrible thing to do when she had taken the courage to actually speak to you. Maybe take her to a school counsellor (if you have one0 but don't baby sit her. Maybe let her say things because if you say everything for her she will just roll with it. Being social is important in our human society, even introverts talk a lot. So she'll have to get used to it, I guess.Also, don't just assume she has special needs, maybe ask her mum to take her to a doctor to get something diagnosed (if there is anything to diagnose). Friends need to help each other. Although I have no experience in this situation, I hope you can take my advice.
Ive asked her a few times, but everythime I ask her she says she doesn't know why shes so quiet

Then just leave it. It could just be the way she is.
Reply 5
Get rid of her the weirdo
Original post by YeFool
Get rid of her the weirdo
Hopefully you're just trolling.
Reply 7
Selective mutism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism
Try asking her in the most natural and unconfrontational way possible why she doesn't like speaking to anyone but you, tell her that she doesn't have to answer if she doesn't want to and do not ditch her.
There was a girl in my year like that.
Then one day she suddenly changed(she'd asked someone how she was so much more loud and confident) and there was like a sudden change in personality, she became loud and rebellious, swearing at teachers and stuff. She changed so much.
Reply 9
Original post by stickylobster
Try to open her up to things, step by step. Don't ditch her, that's just a horrible thing to do when she had taken the courage to actually speak to you. Maybe take her to a school counsellor (if you have one0 but don't baby sit her. Maybe let her say things because if you say everything for her she will just roll with it. Being social is important in our human society, even introverts talk a lot. So she'll have to get used to it, I guess.Also, don't just assume she has special needs, maybe ask her mum to take her to a doctor to get something diagnosed (if there is anything to diagnose). Friends need to help each other. Although I have no experience in this situation, I hope you can take my advice.

The only reason I assume she may have autism is because her sister has it. I have tried letting her speak in the past but we were just sat there in silence for 10 minutes. The main reason i'm worried is because we are going to different colleges in September and honestly don't know how she will cope without me(I know that might sound stuck up). Our school does have a pastoral support team but they are a load of crap

She's embarrassed that people will go 'Hey she talked!' The solution to rectify this problem is to simply tell your classmates to not react when she speaks. I guarantee this will work.
The only reason I assume she may have autism is because her sister has it. I have tried letting her speak in the past but we were just sat there in silence for 10 minutes. The main reason i'm worried is because we are going to different colleges in September and honestly don't know how she will cope without me(I know that might sound stuck up). Our school does have a pastoral support team but they are a load of crap

But that's her problem and not yours.

It's possible she does have a problem but has decided not to tell you.
But that's her problem and not yours.

It's possible she does have a problem but has decided not to tell you.

I dont see why she wouldn't tell me though. I have always been so open with her, about my MH issues and other personal stuff. I know that she is from a poor family. Not so poor that they are on the breadline, but she gets free school meals and school trips paid for her and stuff like that. I do feel sorry for her a lot, however I don't feel like this is an excuse for ignorance.
Original post by hajima
Selective mutism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism
Try asking her in the most natural and unconfrontational way possible why she doesn't like speaking to anyone but you, tell her that she doesn't have to answer if she doesn't want to and do not ditch her.

This has helped a lot, thanks so much!x
I dont see why she wouldn't tell me though. I have always been so open with her, about my MH issues and other personal stuff. I know that she is from a poor family. Not so poor that they are on the breadline, but she gets free school meals and school trips paid for her and stuff like that. I do feel sorry for her a lot, however I don't feel like this is an excuse for ignorance.

Some people don't feel the need to share everything with other people. I don't.
Some people don't feel the need to share everything with other people. I don't.

I would understand that normally, but I have MH issues that if she doesn't tell me stuff like "normal" friends do, then I think I've done something wrong. She knows all this as well as all of my friends had it explained to them. In my opinion its just selfish, even if she is going through some stuff its not my fault shes poor
I would understand that normally, but I have MH issues that if she doesn't tell me stuff like "normal" friends do, then I think I've done something wrong. She knows all this as well as all of my friends had it explained to them. In my opinion its just selfish, even if she is going through some stuff its not my fault shes poor

It's not selfish.

I don't tell my friends everything. I have no obligation to and neither do they.

The only ignorance I can see is coming from you.

So because you have one problem it overwhelms any issues the people around you might have? THAT is selfish.

I'm not trying to be harsh but it sounds like your friend has selective mutism. I had a close friend with selective mutism and it makes life REALLY hard. She's now in her 20s and still finds life really tough. Maybe she has autism, or anxiety or something else instead of mutism or alongside... who knows. It's up to her if she wants to tell you. Just be a good friend and support her by sticking by her. DItching her because cruel children say she's weird is horrible.
she could be going through some hard times, ditching her wont help that
You'll be a pretty sh*tty friend if you ditch her. Some people are just awfully shy through no fault of their own. She may have an issue that causes it, and she's just private about it. You can't force her to talk and just abandoning her won't make her suddenly burst into song and dance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending