The Student Room Group

Only Two years of Funding.

Hello,

I was hoping you could help with a couple of questions I have.

I went to University for a year, however as my dad needed a heart bypass and I had some mental health issues, and as I didn’t pass all the modules on my course I decided not to do a second year.

I also fairly recently did a HNC which I passed. However didn’t take this to HND because I couldn’t really afford to study and got a job instead.

Now my situation is more stable I am interested in entering higher education once more and I am looking at Alevels and access options in my local area.

I don’t really want to continue with my HNC & would rather start afresh.

However, I realise if I’m successful in getting a place at a uni that I will have to fund my first year as I am only entitled to funding for years two and three.

I am eligible for an advanced learner loan and note that they are available for courses level 3 to six. And on the website it mentions this is from Alevels to graduate certificate.

Does this mean I could apply for an advanced learner loan to cover my first year at university and then apply to student finance for the 2nd and 3rd.?

I know career development loans are available but would I pay it back after the first year or after I finished the course?

Also (sorry this is turning into a essay) if I decided to study a degree online, through open uni or open college of arts, would I be able to get funding for the whole course? as this would come to less then two years finance at a brick uni.

The open college of the arts costs around £3260 for each level (HE4-HE6) coming to around £9,780
The open uni costs £2,928 for 60 credits and would come to around £17,568 and it would take me 3-6 years to complete.

Thank you
*bump*
Hi there,

The Advanced Leaner Loan can be used to fund a further education course, this is regardless of your previous higher education study.

You would appear to be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons for this first year of higher education study you done. This would mean that we would only count one year of previous study when calculating how many years of funding you have left.

We would require evidence to award this year, we accept any letters from the previous university or any medical professional confirming the circumstances affect the year of study.

Warm Regards
Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending