The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan or Migrant worker loan

Hello, my name is David. This is my first university year here in the UK, starting in September. I am Portuguese and a European citizen. Before coming to the UK I applied to Student finance for university fees, however, I became aware that I can also be eligible for a maintenance loan because I am working, I have the status of a migrant worker. I'm going to start working here in the UK this week and I plan to do it all year round, and I wanted to know if I can already apply for the maintenance loan, how and where I do it. Thank you very much
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by davidsousa97
Hello, my name is David. This is my first university year here in the UK, starting in September. I am Portuguese and a European citizen. Before coming to the UK I applied to Student finance for university fees, however, I became aware that I can also be eligible for a maintenance loan because I am working, I have the status of a migrant worker. I'm going to start working here in the UK this week and I plan to do it all year round, and I wanted to know if I can already apply for the maintenance loan, how and where I do it. Thank you very much

Hi David

If you have applied as EU applicant and wish to change to MW status, you should complete a PN1 form and send this to us with relevant evidence. You must send your original ID again even if this was sent for the EU applications. As standard, we will require the following evidence:

- Your original Passport or National ID Card
- A copy of your contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. If the contract does not confirm your hours and pay or you are on a zero hour contract we will need a letter from your employer confirming this information. This letter must be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or your Manager (we may verify the employment status with their employer).
- Your last 3 months payslips (if available)
- Your most recent P60 (if available)
- Students who own their own company and are director but are getting paid wages need to send in the employment evidence listed above along with confirmation of self employment or a letter from HMRC confirming the company is registered in the students name
- Termly evidence

You will also need to ensure that the Tuition Fee Loan Request Form is completed on the new application, you need to request the loan and agree again to the Terms and Conditions as your application status has changed.

You can change from being assessed as an EU student to Migrant Worker at any time during the course as long as you were resident in England on the first day of the first academic year. Your new application will need to be received within 9 months of the first day of the academic year.

Thanks
Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending