The Student Room Group

Getting into triathlons

I’m going to uni this September. As a keen runner who is training for a half marathon, I’m really interested in joining a triathlon club.

As there isn’t a club at my own uni, there is one at the other uni in the city which I could join. Looking st their training sessions, THEY’RE SO LONG AND DIFFICULT!! I’m worried I’ll join and not be able to do even half of the sessions!

I really want the support of a club so I’d like to join, but I’m not sure I’m ready for that level of fitness. Should I join and accept the fact that I’ll be not as fit as the others? Or not join, go at my own pace and not make as many triathlete friends?
Surrounding yourself with people who are better than you is the best way to learn. Eventually you'll get fit, but for that to happen you need to train hard! I think it will be great for you :smile:
Local Tri clubs will likely cater for people of all abilities. They'll be people there who will be able to guide you in preparing for your first duathlon/triathlon.

I understand it may seem daunting but developing ability in endurance sports takes time. Your training for a half marathon now. If you catch the bug and stick at it, you'll realise how pitifully short a half marathon is.

Quick Reply

Latest