The Student Room Group

In a dilemma - being forced to go university

Basically, my dad is forcing me to go to university. I'm just really unsure if it is what I want. I know myself well enough to know what is best for me, and I can't say that I haven't questioned this a lot.

I'm on the younger end of my year group and will only be 17 anyway (don't turn 18 until November 2019). I suggested a gap year (I think that could be a good thing) but he shot it down immediately.

Apparently, your years at university are the best years of your lives and those who don't go will only ever get a job at Asda or Tesco.

Thoughts? I can't win on this one, because I'll either anger him by not going or anger myself by doing something I don't want to do.
Reply 1
that's a load of crap. i don't plan on going to uni just yet or not at all have you considered sixth form? might be better for you if uni isn't for you. then you can either work after or go to uni when you want to/are ready. you can still get really good jobs after sixth form. prime example, my uncle, got his o levels & a levels i think, didn't go to uni now he's a ceo of a ship company. I would only go to uni for experience and if there's something that interests me but its just costly & another 3/4 onto your studies when you could be abroad somewhere. a lot of my family/uncles didn't go and they've done well but my older cousins have gone. my dad went but thats cause his company offered but he was limited in what he could choose. maybe wait until your older when you can be a mature student. hope you get it resolved somehow.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jen_04
that's a load of crap. i don't plan on going to uni just yet or not at all have you considered sixth form? might be better for you if uni isn't for you. then you can either work after or go to uni when you want to/are ready. you can still get really good jobs after sixth form. prime example, my uncle, got his o levels & a levels i think, didn't go to uni now he's a ceo of a ship company. I would only go to uni for experience and if there's something that interests me but its just costly.

I'm Scottish so 6th form is not an option for me.
Original post by Joe2001
Basically, my dad is forcing me to go to university. I'm just really unsure if it is what I want. I know myself well enough to know what is best for me, and I can't say that I haven't questioned this a lot.

I'm on the younger end of my year group and will only be 17 anyway (don't turn 18 until November 2019). I suggested a gap year (I think that could be a good thing) but he shot it down immediately.

Apparently, your years at university are the best years of your lives and those who don't go will only ever get a job at Asda or Tesco.

Thoughts? I can't win on this one, because I'll either anger him by not going or anger myself by doing something I don't want to do.

What was your dad's career path? Did he go to university himself?

I am against the idea of rushing into university when you don't really know what you want to do. I know people who went to university because it was the expected thing or because of their parents, only for them to hate the course, struggle with the content and regret it after completing it. Some of them even went on to study different degrees afterwards.

I think from your father's viewpoint, he only wants the best for you. He sees a good education as the gateway to a good career and life, and in some respects, he is right, but it does depend on the individual - what career do you want and is uni the path to get there?

What do your other family members think? I would try to make some kind of plan so your father can see that you are taking your future seriously. If you do take a gap year, what do you have planned (work experience or voluntary work can work well on your personal statement and also future job applications)? If you want to go to uni what course do you want to do and how do you plan to get relevant experience to help you find work after graduation? University can be a good experience but it is what you make of it. There are plenty of uni graduates who struggle to find work after graduation (and are working at Asda and Tesco).
Apprenticeships are great option for people who aren't really into the premise of attending university. You get paid to work in the field you'd like, as well as study for a level 4 qualification (which is equivalent to an undergrad degree).
Reply 5
does your dad know of degree apprenticeships?
Reply 6
Original post by Joe2001
I'm Scottish so 6th form is not an option for me.

ooh used to live in scotland can you try for an internship or apprenticeship?
I don't believe that he knows of apprenticeships.

My favorite subject at school is French, but I don't see myself making a career out of it. What I would like to do while I am young is to work on cruise ships as one of the entertainment staff. If i took a gap year, I would probably try and find some experience in that field.
Yh what the other guy said try doing a degree apprenticeship. You get paid as you work and only go university like once a week
"Apparently, your years at university are the best years of your lives and those who don't go will only ever get a job at Asda or Tesco."
no offence to your dad but thats some of the dumbest **** ive ever heard, teach him about entrepeneurship, running your own business, and that having experience is 10x better than having a degree in the same timeframe
Reply 10
did you manage to resolve this? you can always do open uni, i think they're much cheaper from uni's as well esp if the uni's don't offer courses you like, do apprenticeship/work then you could self study best of both :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending