The Student Room Group

Cousin staying over, I need ALONE time with my bf! :@

Hi guys,

So my cousin (fresh grad) moved to the country I'm in and he's been staying at my place(1 week so far) for 1-2 months till he gets a job. I've been helping him look for and apply for jobs. Thing is, before he came, my bf and I have spend most of our time together.

My cousin doesn't know me and my bf are together for obvious reasons (my personal life, my business). My bf met my cousin and they got along well but I still need my ALONE time with my bf if you know what I mean..

My cousin spends most of the time at my place when I'm at work (he doesnt have friends in the country I'm in). When me and my bf go out to meet friends, we take my cousin with us because we cant leave him at home. So my cousin is in my face 24/7 and I'm getting so frustrated that I started yelling at him for the smallest things he does which I later on feel guilty about but still, me and my bf need our space at my place! We cant go to my bf's place cuz he lives with his family so no privacy there either.

Recently, me and bf started arguing a lot because of this and I dont even know what to do, any suggestions? .. help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Have you talked to your cousin?
It isn't obvious why you haven't told your cousin. Surely he suspects? If he's in his 20s, then you should be able to explain that you need some time to yourself. You should also be able to leave him in the flat by himself; I'm sure he'll be fine! Just talk to him. It's a huge imposition to have someone else staying with you for such a long period of time and you need to establish perimeters so that everyone maintains their sanity.
Reply 3
Original post by YaliaV
It isn't obvious why you haven't told your cousin. Surely he suspects? If he's in his 20s, then you should be able to explain that you need some time to yourself. You should also be able to leave him in the flat by himself; I'm sure he'll be fine! Just talk to him. It's a huge imposition to have someone else staying with you for such a long period of time and you need to establish perimeters so that everyone maintains their sanity.

Does it matter why I wont disclose the reason for not telling my cousin? :tongue:
For starters, me and bf are both guys lol
My cousin = my family = very strict & religous

That's why I cant talk to him about it :smile:
Do you have access to a bush?
Reply 5
Okay it seems to be you have to change something here or you are going to end up falling out with someone in a big way. Talking can help a little. Tell your cousin you don’t want to fall out but you are not used to have someone living with you full time and sorry if sometimes that makes you a bit grumpy but just occasionally you are going to go out on your own. Tell your bf, you know the situation is difficult but it is only temporary and you will be able to be together soon. Meanwhile help your cousin to find a job and fingers crossed it’s not for too long now.
Original post by Anonymous
Does it matter why I wont disclose the reason for not telling my cousin? :tongue:

Ah ok. Well, you could talk to him about needing privacy anyway. Talk to your boyfriend about being patient as well. A few months will fly by...maybe put extra effort into finding your cousin a job/flat of his own.
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
Ah ok. Well, you could talk to him about needing privacy anyway. Talk to your boyfriend about being patient as well. A few months will fly by...maybe put extra effort into finding your cousin a job/flat of his own.

I always tell my cousin why dont u go out to a pub, make some friends, etc, and he would be like I dont feel like it so I'm just like :s
I need him out of the house so me and my bf can u know, do stuff couples do...
*shrug* If yr going to mislead him about having a partner you can't really expect to be given partner time, as far as they're concerned its a batchelor pad and no reason they can't be there. Likewise if your going to have someone to stay long term...and they can't be in the house without you (weird) then yeah, you're going to get pretty sick of having to take them places.
Find something he can do in the evenings which is out of the house.
Suggest the cinema or theatre or something and that you can't come cause you are busy with something.

This isn't really a reason. Your house, your boyfriend, your rules.

Tell your cousin you need time with your boyfriend, and be damned to what he thinks.
How about distracting him? Maybe once he knows where stuff is a bit more you can send him to the store or the cinema or on a day out of some kind and then you'll get some alone time or failing that sneak in a quickie at work on your lunch break. Even somehow giving the cousin a video and a pair of headphones and risking it while he's at the flat might work.
I get why you can't tell him but do your friends know about you and your bf? What's his sleeping situation because you could maybe tell him that for some reason he can't sleep wherever he is sleeping and he'll have to stay with a friend for one or more nights. It's dishonest, but it'll rid of the cousin, then you get the place to yourself.
Original post by StriderHort
*shrug* If yr going to mislead him about having a partner you can't really expect to be given partner time, as far as they're concerned its a batchelor pad and no reason they can't be there. Likewise if your going to have someone to stay long term...and they can't be in the house without you (weird) then yeah, you're going to get pretty sick of having to take them places.

lol i never said he cant be in the house without me :tongue:
he's always at home when I'm at work. :smile:
Original post by Tootles
This isn't really a reason. Your house, your boyfriend, your rules.

Tell your cousin you need time with your boyfriend, and be damned to what he thinks.

I cant tell him that, I'm not out to my family! lol. He's already getting suspicious and if he finds out, I'm screwed

:s-smilie:
Original post by thaliaevelyn
How about distracting him? Maybe once he knows where stuff is a bit more you can send him to the store or the cinema or on a day out of some kind and then you'll get some alone time or failing that sneak in a quickie at work on your lunch break. Even somehow giving the cousin a video and a pair of headphones and risking it while he's at the flat might work.
I get why you can't tell him but do your friends know about you and your bf? What's his sleeping situation because you could maybe tell him that for some reason he can't sleep wherever he is sleeping and he'll have to stay with a friend for one or more nights. It's dishonest, but it'll rid of the cousin, then you get the place to yourself.

Take last night for example. He wanted to watch the liverpool match and we were already out. I was like I'm going to go home and drop u at a pub to watch the match. His response: I'll come home with u and watch it on the laptop.. ugh :facepalm:

My friends dont know either (only 2 close friends who dont live in the same country). He sleeps the same time as I do. I told him I might go with some friends on a getaway next weekend and he was like ok then I'll chill with your friend (aka my bf) and if I tell him my bf is coming too, he's going to get really suspicious! He already met all my friends and has their contact and my friends dont know about me and my bf so if my cousin asks them hows the getaway they'll be like what getaway? and he'll be like that you and my cousin and your friend (my bf) that went on... and then my friends AND cousin will know about me and my bf.. see my problem :frown:
:s-smilie:

what's wrong? stuck in the 20th century
I cant tell him that, I'm not out to my family! lol. He's already getting suspicious and if he finds out, I'm screwed
Come out then. It isn't hard.
Hi guys,

So my cousin (fresh grad) moved to the country I'm in and he's been staying at my place(1 week so far) for 1-2 months till he gets a job. I've been helping him look for and apply for jobs. Thing is, before he came, my bf and I have spend most of our time together.

My cousin doesn't know me and my bf are together for obvious reasons (my personal life, my business). My bf met my cousin and they got along well but I still need my ALONE time with my bf if you know what I mean..

My cousin spends most of the time at my place when I'm at work (he doesnt have friends in the country I'm in). When me and my bf go out to meet friends, we take my cousin with us because we cant leave him at home. So my cousin is in my face 24/7 and I'm getting so frustrated that I started yelling at him for the smallest things he does which I later on feel guilty about but still, me and my bf need our space at my place! We cant go to my bf's place cuz he lives with his family so no privacy there either.

Recently, me and bf started arguing a lot because of this and I dont even know what to do, any suggestions? .. help :frown:

Say this to your cousin:

"It's lovely having you about, but I've not had the chance to be "alone" with my boyfriend in a while. My boyfriend and I need some time alone tomorrow, do you think that you could go to the movies or something so we can have the place to ourselves? When you get a girlfriend, I will return the favour of course."

Then he will take the hint and clear off. If he doesn't, have crazy loud kinky BDSM sex and scare him so much he'll take it upon himself to gtfo when you two need some alone time.
Take last night for example. He wanted to watch the liverpool match and we were already out. I was like I'm going to go home and drop u at a pub to watch the match. His response: I'll come home with u and watch it on the laptop.. ugh :facepalm:

My friends dont know either (only 2 close friends who dont live in the same country). He sleeps the same time as I do. I told him I might go with some friends on a getaway next weekend and he was like ok then I'll chill with your friend (aka my bf) and if I tell him my bf is coming too, he's going to get really suspicious! He already met all my friends and has their contact and my friends dont know about me and my bf so if my cousin asks them hows the getaway they'll be like what getaway? and he'll be like that you and my cousin and your friend (my bf) that went on... and then my friends AND cousin will know about me and my bf.. see my problem :frown:

Should've dropped him off at the pub, waited 15 mins, made sure he had a drink. Said actually I need to get some stuff done and left, telling him you'd go get him later.
Go away somewhere by yourself(like just stay in a hotel for one night). Then get your boyfriend to come over for a bit, he can make some excuse up why he needs to go and then there you have it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending