The Student Room Group

Do smart people get bad grades

I'm been considered "smart" by people but I'm getting C's in a level physics, even with lots of work. What do you think, can smart people get bad grades?
I had say that smart people get good grades and have good studying methods .

As to can 'smart ' people get bad grades, I had say rarely so, and generally no.
I think ‘smart’ is too hard a word to define. I know plenty of people who contribute a lot in class, have good ideas in discussions, know the content etc but struggle to apply that in exams or assessment. Some people excel at maths and the sciences but really struggle with English or creative subjects, and vice versa. Some people also excel in exams but lack common sense, or struggle to learn to drive etc. Plus some people benefit from private schooling, tutoring, help from academic parents/family etc which adds a whole other layer. I’m not sure then if assessments best define ‘smart’, but generally, I would say getting a C in one subject doesn’t mean you’re not smart; the problem is ‘smart’ is just too vague.

Also for reference, I wouldn’t say a C is necessarily a bad grade, but that’s completely contextual!
I went from A*A*A*a*a at A-level to a 2.2 at uni :colone:
Yes, they do. From a top ranker to a student who now finds his name at some where at the end of rank list, I have seen it all. Your grades are directly proportional to the hardwork in the subjects that academia is demanding. I do a lots of stuff and forget to do the academic things that result in low grades.

But try to pull them up. Like seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest