The Student Room Group

Do parents have the right to tell you how to spend the money they give you?

So I am a 19 year old who is in their first year at uni. I rely on my mum for my maintenance money. A few days ago I was showing her all the different restaurants I've been trying out, and she seemed to have a problem with it, saying I should be spending my money more wisely and that if I treat myself too much, the joy I experience would gradually wear out.

This pissed me off so much because she has no reason to tell me how to spend my money, even if it came from her. Now, when I give someone money, it's theirs. They can do whatever they want with it - it's stupid to tell them what to spend on or what not to spend on, long as it's doing them no harm. I think if my mum isn't happy that I am spending my money too quickly, she might as well as just not give me any.

Do you guys agree with me or think that I am not being reasonable?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I am a 19 year old who is in their first year at uni. I rely on my mum for my maintenance money. A few days ago I was showing her all the different restaurants I've been trying out, and she seemed to have a problem with it, saying I should be spending my money more wisely and that if I treat myself too much, the joy I experience would gradually wear out.

This pissed me off so much because she has no reason to tell me how to spend my money, even if it came from her. Now, when I give someone money, it's theirs. They can do whatever they want with it - it's stupid to tell them what to spend on or what not to spend on, long as it's doing them no harm. I think if my mum isn't happy that I am spending my money too quickly, she might as well as just not give me any.

If your mum gives you money, I think you should follow her rules. She gave it for a specific reason. If it's your money I'd consider her advice. Since well...she's your mum...
I mean, if she's giving the money to you I ought to think you should spend it wisely. Maybe come to an agreement to limit the restaurants
LOL you’ve been using it to try our restaurants
Hmm if your laptop needs fixing or if you need textbooks then maybe that’s what you should use it for and you can visit the restaurants with your family instead ??
well you won't know the value of money until you earn it with your own hard work....and she's just trying to explain you to not spend unnecessarily in the future...So just listen to her and don't be mad at her because you would only understand what she tried to say in the long-run.

This isn't money given as a gift. It's money given specifically to support you at university. If you waste it then she has the right to advise you to take more care with it.
lol i don't understand why it pissed you off. she's not wrong. maintenance at uni isn't for eating out. if you wanted 'easy come, easy go' you may as well have applied for a maintenance loan. spend it wisely, you;re young, don't wanna adopt a pattern of spending that could lead to problems later on
Reply 7
Original post by SlightlySummer
I mean, if she's giving the money to you I ought to think you should spend it wisely. Maybe come to an agreement to limit the restaurants

Well when other people give me money I don't see why I should spend it more wisely than as if it was money that I earned myself. Actually, it's not just the restaurants, I buy a lot of bags and purses that sometimes go up to £200. I know for a fact that if my mum finds out about the price tag she's going to be mad and say it's a waste of money, because she isn't using to having items of this sort of price. It's annoying because I have told her before that what she is giving me is waaayy more than enough and more than what the average student receives. But she still insists on giving me the same amount, even though she'll complain whenever I spend something unnecessarily expensive in her opinion.

Next year I've already applied for student loans. With that money and what I earn from my part time job, I think it's best off that I stop relying on her, or at least offer to pay her back, so technically what I'm spending is from myself.
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
This isn't money given as a gift. It's money given specifically to support you at university. If you waste it then she has the right to advise you to take more care with it.

Ok I agree with this. So if I tell her that next year I'm going to work more hours and apply for full loans, it shouldn't cause any offence to her, should it?
You apply for full loans but make sure you repay them back with your own money without asking hers.
Ok I agree with this. So if I tell her that next year I'm going to work more hours and apply for full loans, it shouldn't cause any offence to her, should it?
Yeah I think this is a good idea
Next year I've already applied for student loans. With that money and what I earn from my part time job, I think it's best off that I stop relying on her, or at least offer to pay her back, so technically what I'm spending is from myself.
Earning my own sounds like the better option tbh. I'd rather have control over how to spend my money, and learn lessons if it weren't worth it, than have someone else constantly nagging about what not to spend on.
Original post by ageshallnot
This isn't money given as a gift. It's money given specifically to support you at university.

Ah you're right
Thanks guys :smile:
Yes.
It's annoying because I have told her before that what she is giving me is waaayy more than enough and more than what the average student receives. But she still insists on giving me the same amount, even though she'll complain whenever I spend something unnecessarily expensive in her opinion.

It sounds a bit like a self-control issue on your part. Just because your mum gives you more than you think is necessary, doesn't mean that you have to spend it, especially on expensive things. To most people, a £200 purse is considerably more expensive than what the average person would spend on a purse, so I don't really think her opinion is unreasonable. Your mum is probably hoping you'll spend the money on necessities rather than things you fancy; you don't need the purse or to go to restaurants regularly, whereas you do need to pay for groceries, textbooks, laptop repairs etc.

As you've said, I think having your own money to rely on is a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending