The Student Room Group

So If I send my PS in jan or december will I still get offers from...

Russel group unis??? Coz my mum and sis are saying I should send it in n9vemebr???? I am applying to KCL, Notts, WAwrick, UCL, and Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YellowLover
Russel group unis??? Coz my mum and sis are saying I should send it in n9vemebr???? I am applying to KCL, Notts, WAwrick, UCL, and Birmingham

Send it as soon as possible before places fill up. People are already getting offers
Original post by User135792468
Send it as soon as possible before places fill up. People are already getting offers

Places won’t ‘fill up’ - unis have to give equal consideration to all applications sent before January 15th.

OP, send it whenever you feel ready - better to take the time on it and be pleased with it when you send it off, than rush it to be early but not as good!
Reply 3
As long as you send it by the January deadline, your applications is guaranteed equal consideration. So they're not allowed to treat differently applications that were sent in September or January.
So no, it literally doesn't matter.

They are getting offers, but universities always give out far more offers than for which they have places and they have a legal requirement to consider all applications sent before the 15th of January.
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Places won’t ‘fill up’ - unis have to give equal consideration to all applications sent before January 15th.

OP, send it whenever you feel ready - better to take the time on it and be pleased with it when you send it off, than rush it to be early but not as good!

There are limited spaces. For example Nottingham has between 30-50 spaces for biotechnology, these places quickly get taken up. They give offers to more people than needed as some people don’t get the grades.

The universities considering your application means they’ll just read it, doesn’t mean they have to make you an offer. Realistically if they have filled their quota then they’ll decline all extra applications
There are limited spaces. For example Nottingham has between 30-50 spaces for biotechnology, these places quickly get taken up. They give offers to more people than needed as some people don’t get the grades.

The universities considering your application means they’ll just read it, doesn’t mean they have to make you an offer. Realistically if they have filled their quota then they’ll decline all extra applications

This isn't true.
a) Unis will have an idea of what grade profile they are looking for in applications to make offers as it is likely to be similar every year, they are used to over offering about the right amount to get the right number of people arriving in September.
b) The university considering the application (when received before 15th Jan 6pm) means that the exact same applicant gets an offer whether they have applied on 20th September or 14th January. Because they have to based on that being the equal consideration deadline.
Original post by Lemur14
This isn't true.
a) Unis will have an idea of what grade profile they are looking for in applications to make offers as it is likely to be similar every year, they are used to over offering about the right amount to get the right number of people arriving in September.
b) The university considering the application (when received before 15th Jan 6pm) means that the exact same applicant gets an offer whether they have applied on 20th September or 14th January. Because they have to based on that being the equal consideration deadline.

If they have filled their quotas then they will not make any more offers. Universities operate at a first come first serve basis. I’ve even had multiple teachers say this. People are already getting offers. If a university reaches their offer limit then they will stop giving offers. Realistically the later you apply the less chance you have getting a place as the number of offers a university gives gets taken one by one
Reply 7
If they have filled their quotas then they will not make any more offers. Universities operate at a first come first serve basis. I’ve even had multiple teachers say this. People are already getting offers. If a university reaches their offer limit then they will stop giving offers. Realistically the later you apply the less chance you have getting a place as the number of offers a university gives gets taken one by one

Your teachers told you this because they didn't want people messing around and dithering until January, it's easier for the schools if their students send in their applications earlier.

Because what you're saying, provided the applicant sends in their application before January 15th, is false. They have to consider it equally, and realistically, they do and it doesn't affect your chances. More competitive unis/courses may opt for a "gathered field" approach where they wait until all applications are in (e.g. Oxbridge, LSE) and some put your application on hold until they've received more. But they're not idiots, they know how many offers they can give out.
Original post by Sinnoh
Your teachers told you this because they didn't want people messing around and dithering until January, it's easier for the schools if their students send in their applications earlier.

Because what you're saying, provided the applicant sends in their application before January 15th, is false. They have to consider it equally, and realistically, they do and it doesn't affect your chances. More competitive unis/courses may opt for a "gathered field" approach where they wait until all applications are in (e.g. Oxbridge, LSE) and some put your application on hold until they've received more. But they're not idiots, they know how many offers they can give out.

What do you mean by equal consideration? If the quotas are met then they will not make anymore offers. I don’t understand how they’re going to “equally consider” you if there are limited spaces and people are already getting offers.

Of course if they use the “gathered field” method that you’re talking about then they can equally consider everyone but a lot of the universities have started giving offers and I mean a lot! In fact there’s a thread on here where everyone lists the universities that has given offers
Reply 9
What do you mean by equal consideration? If the quotas are met then they will not make anymore offers. I don’t understand how they’re going to “equally consider” you if there are limited spaces and people are already getting offers.

Of course if they use the “gathered field” method that you’re talking about then they can equally consider everyone but a lot of the universities have started giving offers and I mean a lot! In fact there’s a thread on here where everyone lists the universities that has given offers

If they're sending out offers in September it's because they know they can do so without disadvantaging later applicants. Yeah it looks like a lot but numbers alone can be misleading. How does the number of offers made already correspond to the total number of offers made from September until the universities' own deadline to respond in May?
Original post by S47W4N
I second this. This has happened in my school as well between two different students. Unis have quotas to meet and the offer chance decreases the longer you take.

Right sorry but this stinks of incorrect claims based off experience rather than fact. I applied to uni last year in October, by time it got to February i still hadn't heard back from every uni. One of my close friends applied to Bristol, he was on hold for months and literally got a offer in May (think that's when unis have to have made all decisions on offers for those who applied bu January.) Spaces wont "fill up", yes there are quotas but you're also forgetting that during the period that you're waiting for an offer from a certain uni, other people would've declined the same offer, insured it and more. If their course is oversubscribed and you're not as strong as other applicants, chances are that if the uni still wants you, you'll be given an alternative offer. I know people who applied to history at Durham and got ancient history instead, people who applied for law at Durham, Nottingham and Bristol got given alternative offers for criminology, and people applied for english at UCL got given offers for comparative literature instead.

You aren't disadvantaged by sending off your application in January, especially if you have a strong application. I applied to Bristol, Sheffield, Liverpool (and two other unis which I wont mention because this doesn't concern them right now) in October and was still waiting in February to hear back from one of them. My Boyfriend at the time applied for the same unis in December and had all his offers back before the unis closed for Christmas. It's not about when you apply, it's about how strong your application is.
It is very interesting seeing how others have responded but this is generally the advice that I give:

Universities (via UCAS) have to guarantee that all applications received before 15 Jan deadline get equal consideration.

That being said, you may or may not have a psychological advantage because admissions tutors may or may not feel that since there are many spaces left when you apply early they may give out some places more easily. Take this with a HUGE pinch of salt but from the different open events I've been to this has been the general advice. When sending it in January, the admissions staff have a huge pile to process but may not have as big of a pile if you submit the whole UCAS form earlier.
Original post by Apad121
It is very interesting seeing how others have responded but this is generally the advice that I give:

Universities (via UCAS) have to guarantee that all applications received before 15 Jan deadline get equal consideration.

That being said, you may or may not have a psychological advantage because admissions tutors may or may not feel that since there are many spaces left when you apply early they may give out some places more easily. Take this with a HUGE pinch of salt but from the different open events I've been to this has been the general advice. When sending it in January, the admissions staff have a huge pile to process but may not have as big of a pile if you submit the whole UCAS form earlier.

In all honesty? October, December and January are the times when there will be loads of applications going in.

October because of the Oxbridge and Medicine applicants
December as a vast amount of schools give their students a internal deadline of December
January because of the general UCAS deadline
Original post by Sinnoh
If they're sending out offers in September it's because they know they can do so without disadvantaging later applicants. Yeah it looks like a lot but numbers alone can be misleading. How does the number of offers made already correspond to the total number of offers made from September until the universities' own deadline to respond in May?

But as time goes on, the limited number of offers available decreases so the probability of you getting a place decreases the later you apply due to the fact there are less places available.
Reply 14
But as time goes on, the limited number of offers available decreases so the probability of you getting a place decreases the later you apply due to the fact there are less places available.

As time goes on, more people will apply and more offers made in response. I don't think they've seen the bulk of applications yet.
Universities aren't picky with places anyway. They give out offers to the large majority of their applicants (in general, with some obvious exceptions). If there exists such a quota then they won't meet it before the spring. If they need to cut down on numbers then they just refuse everyone who didn't meet the offer (as opposed to allowing near misses). And so many courses go into clearing and adjustment that it's pretty obvious they never hit a limit on offers.

Also, if you're committed enough to apply in early September/October you're probably also organised in general and/or an Oxbridge applicant, so the standard of applications would be higher early on. So it's not about when, it's about how good your application is.

Finally, the relationship between offers given and places is pretty fuzzy. Sure you'll get an offer, but maybe you didn't firm it. Or maybe you insured it but it wasn't needed. Or maybe you missed the offer. So it doesn't matter if there are multiple offers made per place.
Just to make it absolutely crystal clear, it is a requirement of the contract that universities sign with UCAS that they must give equal consideration to every application received by the relevant equal consideration deadline:

6 p.m. on 15 October for Dentistry, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine degree courses, as well as all degree courses at the universities of Cambridge and Oxford, and
6 p.m. on 15 January for all other degree courses.

It is not first-come-first-served. It is not early bird catches the worm (or any other analogy!). It is genuinely equal consideration to each and every application made on time within the applications window.

That's all you need to know. It's as simple as that.

Now, we know for a fact that some universities have already made many hundreds of offers each. Among the usual suspects are Exeter, Warwick, Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, York, Nottingham, Newcastle, Birmingham and Glasgow (check out the Big List of offers reported by TSR users at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6177978). The fact that each one of these unis has made many hundreds of offers categorically does not mean that any of them is going to "run out" of places before 15 January. They are not.

The offers made so far are according to the strict criteria that these unis have determined for offer making. They will continue to make offers according to the same criteria to every applicant who applies before the 15 January deadline (and in many cases after 15 January, too --- but don't risk it for competitive courses!).

Only make your UCAS application when you are happy with your choices, and when your form is ready. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who try to rush you (and for good reason if there are internal school deadlines), but ultimately the only genuine deadline is that which falls on 6 p.m. on 15 January.

TOP TIP: If your form is ready but you haven't decided all your course choices, you can submit now with one or two choices and add the rest in UCAS Track by the 15 January deadline. This gives you the flexibility to cope with school (and mum and dad) breathing down your neck, as well as more time to finalise your choices.

Hi, I work in admissions. Almost everything you’ve written in this thread has been complete nonsense.

Uni’s agree an assessment criteria before September each year. Everyone that meets that criteria and that submits an app prior to Jan 15th gets an offer. Uni’s don’t “fill up”. They don’t have a finite “quota” or limited “places”. You are not less likely to receive an offer if you apply nearer the deadline.

I appreciate you have been given some very misleading advice yourself, but please don’t spread it as gospel when many people familiar with the process are telling you that you’re incorrect.
“Everyone that meets the criteria and that submits an app prior to Jan 15th gets an offer”

How does this work then? If they have places for 50 for a specific course and they give out 200 offers. Let’s say 100 get the grades they wanted, what is the university going to do?
“Everyone that meets the criteria and that submits an app prior to Jan 15th gets an offer”

How does this work then? If they have places for 50 for a specific course and they give out 200 offers. Let’s say 100 get the grades they wanted, what is the university going to do?

You’re assuming that all 200 offer holders will pick that choice as their firm. They’ll normally have 4-5 offers to choose from.

If a university realises in May/June that far more applicants than expected have picked a course with limited capacity as their firm choice then they’ve got 4-5 months to rearrange the timetable, arrange more temporary space and employ additional staff to cope with the increase. At £9k + per student it’s not difficult to find a way to teach an extra 10 students with an extra £90k income.

They know of those 100, some are going to go to other unis anyway, some may change their minds and just take a gap year, etc. Also if they have 50 places and expect half of the offers they make to achieve the offer, they probably wouldn't give out 200 offers unless they expect most to go to other universities. Universities have a lot of calculations they use to estimate the conversion ratio of offer to enrolments; they don't just randomly guess how things will work out.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending