The Student Room Group

Moving abroad after study - language barrier for SFE?

I am surprised no one ever asked this (been googling for half an hour now).

So I might move abroad to a non-english speaking country after graduating here in the UK. How does SFE know how much money I earn? If the answer is by me sending them my monthly or weekly salary statements, we have a problem, unless SFE has people who speak all the languages of the world. Do they understand spanish, japanese, arabic? Just as an example.

If I can't send them my salary statement in japanese for example, do I need to translate my statements (which cost about £80 per page) every single time? The translation alone every month would cost far more than what I would pay back to SFE.

edit:
the contract says:

"SLC will ask for details of your income and will work out how much you should repay each month.
They’ll change your income into pounds sterling and tell you the amount you need to repay each month in pounds sterling. You’ll be responsible for any costs involved in converting the currency and you’ll have to pay any charges your bank makes to
transfer funds to SLC."

- How exactly does this work? I just fill in a formular (or even call them?), say I earn the equivalent of £2500 per month for example (or e.g. 350,000 Yen?) and they accept it?
- Or do they expect a form of evidence that I earn that much and not more?
- If they want evidence, do I send them my salary where they can only understand the numbers (unless they can speak japanese in this example) and there's this one big number that says ¥350,000 (is that enough as evidence)?
- Or do they demand a translation?
- If they demand a translation, can I translate it myself or do I need a certified translation which costs ~£80 per translated page?
(edited 4 years ago)
They ask you to say how much you’re earning. If they need evidence they’ll usually ask for that at the end of the tax year - so it would be a single document confirming your income. Unless they ask for translations assume that the team that works on global earnings is capable of understanding what you send.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending