The Student Room Group

Can you get funding for 5 years of study?

Apologies for asking what is probably a popular question however I could not find the answer I was looking for when I researched.
If you completed first year undergraduate at a university away from home, then re-applied to start a new undergraduate degree at the same university, then due to personal circumstances was forced to move back home... could you apply to start a new undergraduate degree at the university at home and be funded for the full 3 years (total of 5 years)?
Hopefully this question makes sense, I will try and rephrase if not.
Original post by cwcw99
Apologies for asking what is probably a popular question however I could not find the answer I was looking for when I researched.
If you completed first year undergraduate at a university away from home, then re-applied to start a new undergraduate degree at the same university, then due to personal circumstances was forced to move back home... could you apply to start a new undergraduate degree at the university at home and be funded for the full 3 years (total of 5 years)?
Hopefully this question makes sense, I will try and rephrase if not.

You would need evidence of compelling personal reasons for repeating/restarting one of the extra years. SFE will only fund one repeat year automatically. If you repeat a second time then they need evidence. If you can’t provide suitable evidence then your first year on the new degree would be unfunded - that means no tuition fee loan, you would still get a maintenance loan.

Is there any possibility that you could transfer into second year of the degree near home?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You would need evidence of compelling personal reasons for repeating/restarting one of the extra years. SFE will only fund one repeat year automatically. If you repeat a second time then they need evidence. If you can’t provide suitable evidence then your first year on the new degree would be unfunded - that means no tuition fee loan, you would still get a maintenance loan.

Is there any possibility that you could transfer into second year of the degree near home?

I am almost certain that I can get evidence of compelling personal reasons, however I am clueless as to how I would go about telling SFE. Would it be during, before or after the application process? And if I was to apply through clearing would this affect anything in my application?
Original post by cwcw99
I am almost certain that I can get evidence of compelling personal reasons, however I am clueless as to how I would go about telling SFE. Would it be during, before or after the application process? And if I was to apply through clearing would this affect anything in my application?

It would be during the application process - there is a section when you apply for "additional notes" where you can explain the circumstances and the type of evidence that you can provide (alternatively you can send a letter separately after you apply).

If you're thinking of using clearing then I would strongly recommend that you apply for student finance in March with the course/university you hope to go to - that gives SFE plenty of time to process your application in time including the CPR application. Don't leave it until the summer to apply for funding. It's quick to swap university/course in the summer if your hoped for university doesn't accept you through clearing but if you apply in the summer for finance you could be waiting months after the start of your course for your funding to be approved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending