The Student Room Group

Changing Uni course after 2nd year

Bit of a long one sorry guys... Basically I am just finishing my 2nd year of a 3 year Biology degree. The uni I go to is literally tiny (think high school) and so doesn't offer any other courses. I’ve hated my course and the uni since I started, ive essentially spent two years depressed and crying in my room. I have no idea what I want to do after uni, but I’ve been massively regretting not leaving the course and uni since the start. If i left I’d want to study physics, not sure what I want to do with that either which seems to be why people keep telling me to just stick it out cos ‘any degree is useful’. I cant stop thinking what if i had left, and now I'm thinking its too late but its really now or never the only thing i want to do after uni is go back and do physics somewhere else so i can have a good time and actually enjoy the subject but no way i would be able to fund that myself. The other issue is i have very bad A levels with 3Cs and no Maths so wherever i do physics id have to do a foundation year aswell. If i left now id have to self fund one year which is really not concerning me, in the other 3 years im sure i can save that amount. Its honestly been the worst two years of my life when it should have been the best and I have so many regrets of not leaving, I knew it wasn't right from the start. To make matters worse I took two gap years before uni so I'm now 22 so I wouldn't graduate until I'm 26 😕 would it be better to just finish my degree and suck it up that uni just wasn't a good experience for me then not use my degree or should i change while i can still get some funding, but then I’d be a fresher at 22.
Original post by MiaCharlotte19
Bit of a long one sorry guys... Basically I am just finishing my 2nd year of a 3 year Biology degree. The uni I go to is literally tiny (think high school) and so doesn't offer any other courses. I’ve hated my course and the uni since I started, ive essentially spent two years depressed and crying in my room. I have no idea what I want to do after uni, but I’ve been massively regretting not leaving the course and uni since the start. If i left I’d want to study physics, not sure what I want to do with that either which seems to be why people keep telling me to just stick it out cos ‘any degree is useful’. I cant stop thinking what if i had left, and now I'm thinking its too late but its really now or never the only thing i want to do after uni is go back and do physics somewhere else so i can have a good time and actually enjoy the subject but no way i would be able to fund that myself. The other issue is i have very bad A levels with 3Cs and no Maths so wherever i do physics id have to do a foundation year aswell. If i left now id have to self fund one year which is really not concerning me, in the other 3 years im sure i can save that amount. Its honestly been the worst two years of my life when it should have been the best and I have so many regrets of not leaving, I knew it wasn't right from the start. To make matters worse I took two gap years before uni so I'm now 22 so I wouldn't graduate until I'm 26 😕 would it be better to just finish my degree and suck it up that uni just wasn't a good experience for me then not use my degree or should i change while i can still get some funding, but then I’d be a fresher at 22.

You need to stop thinking yourself into a corner, it isnt helpful.

Go and see your GP about your mh issues depression and anxiety and how its forced you to quit or fail.

Then make a compelling personal reasons claim to sfe to try and get some finance back..

Then find a course. Your A levels are weak so you can either resit one or two or do an access course.

They are still going to hold you back.

You seem unsure about courses so id suggest you spend enough time finding what you really want. You will have limited choice and you have to find one with foundation year.

Commit and dont start undermining yourself about your age etc as its utterly pointless and irrelevant. It is what it is and not a big deal.

Apply for the course if you are sure its the correct one and then study properly. Check its a uni you can be happy at.

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/physics/bsc-honours-physics-with-foundation-year/full-time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending