The Student Room Group

I feel like my girlfriend is going to break up with me over not being black

I'm white and my girlfriend is black. I've been listening and learning about racism and social inequality the entire time we've been together, from her own perspective and extra reading. It's not a topic I was unfamiliar with before we started dating. She goes on long rants about how I will never understand and how I'm privileged and how my ancestors were all racists and slave owners. I usually accept all this, because it's pretty true but as the recent protests and social outcry has got worse she retweets more and more extreme radical perspectives. She has told me on multiple occasions segregation was good because it kept the races divided. In the past she has even said she doesn't know how this relationship will pan out and that her "ancestors are rolling in their graves and cringing at this relationship". I get being accepting of the struggle and discrimination but at this level it's making me incredibly uncomfortable and unhappy being with her. She usually mellows out after a bit but I'm not sure if she will this time. I support Black Lives Matter, donated, petitioned, all that. I'm not a racist, this just seems like a personal attack rather than an ideological one. Should I leave her before she leaves me? What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did u not talk about these issues before u started dating?
Reply 2
I guess she kept it quiet, I don't know why she wanted to start dating either if these are her beliefs
Reply 3
Original post by NA_03
Did u not talk about these issues before u started dating?

Not specifically about race, other heavy issues for sure but that never really came up in conversation. She seemed to want to get physical quicker than I expected tbh that took up a lot of talking time
She probably likes you for who you are as a personal and your race doesn't override that unless you're discussing the topic - however I don't think something as important as your race (alongside how much this means to her) can be brushed off. If it's making you this uncomfortable you should let her know that it's starting to feel like a serious wedge between you. It sounds like she feels some guilt or feels like she shouldn't be with you because it contradicts her beliefs or her ancestors would disagree.

Dunno how serious you are but i can't see why you would be happy in this situation and if you can leave then mention to her you're considering it and why.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Not specifically about race, other heavy issues for sure but that never really came up in conversation. She seemed to want to get physical quicker than I expected tbh that took up a lot of talking time

I don’t mean to get up in your business but imo I think you should just end it there and leave before things get serious
Reply 6
Original post by NA_03
I don’t mean to get up in your business but imo I think you should just end it there and leave before things get serious

It is pretty serious already, we know things about each other that no one else knows. We get along so well in person, I should of added this as well, but she only gets like this over messages.
I'm white and my girlfriend is black. I've been listening and learning about racism and social inequality the entire time we've been together, from her own perspective and extra reading. It's not a topic I was unfamiliar with before we started dating. She goes on long rants about how I will never understand and how I'm privileged and how my ancestors were all racists and slave owners. I usually accept all this, because it's pretty true but as the recent protests and social outcry has got worse she retweets more and more extreme radical perspectives. She has told me on multiple occasions segregation was good because it kept the races divided. In the past she has even said she doesn't know how this relationship will pan out and that her "ancestors are rolling in their graves and cringing at this relationship". I get being accepting of the struggle and discrimination but at this level it's making me incredibly uncomfortable and unhappy being with her. She usually mellows out after a bit but I'm not sure if she will this time. I support Black Lives Matter, donated, petitioned, all that. I'm not a racist, this just seems like a personal attack rather than an ideological one. Should I leave her before she leaves me? What should I do?

Okay first of all "Black Lives Matter" is sort of racist because you are noticing that they are different. Personally I feel that it should be "All Lives Matter" because racism isn't just towards people of color. You are worrying too much because people of color are just as racist towards white people as white people are to people of color. The fact that she is running you down and trying to make you feel bad because you are white is wrong. She is pinning stereotypes on all white people calling us "privileged". Stereotypes are where 90% of racism starts and ends. So in a way she is being racist as well. You cannot pin slavery on people today just because they are white. NO WHITE PERSON TODAY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH SLAVERY! Yes, there are some pieces of **** out there today that still believe that slavery was right but that doesn't mean that every white person feels that way. In my opinion, people of color are the reason racism still exists, and I can say that without being racist towards them at all. There are more races than black and white and the fact that a lot of people of color still believe that they are the only victims of racism is wrong. She is being racist towards you because you are white and that is why she runs you down. Whether you are white, black, Asian, etc, you are just as subject to racism as anyone else. And as far as the riots, people are only rioting because they are bored from being at home because of the coronavirus and it is wrong for them to even be protesting. 1.) If the man who was killed by the police didn't do something he wasn't supposed to he would still be alive today. 2.) If a white man is killed by a cop it is called "justice" and not racism. 3.) The fact that they could possibly be spreading the coronavirus and affecting the lives of others is wrong. In my opinion if people are going out and ignoring the precautions that are set in place to protect people and end up getting someone else sick and they die, then they should be held accountable for negligence that costs someone their life. In conclusion, I don't think she is the girl for you if she is making you feel bad over something you didn't do
Reply 8
It is pretty serious already, we know things about each other that no one else knows. We get along so well in person, I should of added this as well, but she only gets like this over messages.

If u feel as tho u can see things falling apart in the future, I’d suggest to leave her. She doesn’t seem healthy for u and it might feel toxic. Or u need to have a face to face conversation wiv each other where u resolve all the problems before it creates bigger ones later. If u can’t deal with the issues now, how do u expect to deal with them later.
Reply 9
Original post by dsteele13
Okay first of all "Black Lives Matter" is sort of racist because you are noticing that they are different. Personally I feel that it should be "All Lives Matter" because racism isn't just towards people of color. You are worrying too much because people of color are just as racist towards white people as white people are to people of color. The fact that she is running you down and trying to make you feel bad because you are white is wrong. She is pinning stereotypes on all white people calling us "privileged". Stereotypes are where 90% of racism starts and ends. So in a way she is being racist as well. You cannot pin slavery on people today just because they are white. NO WHITE PERSON TODAY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH SLAVERY! Yes, there are some pieces of **** out there today that still believe that slavery was right but that doesn't mean that every white person feels that way. In my opinion, people of color are the reason racism still exists, and I can say that without being racist towards them at all. There are more races than black and white and the fact that a lot of people of color still believe that they are the only victims of racism is wrong. She is being racist towards you because you are white and that is why she runs you down. Whether you are white, black, Asian, etc, you are just as subject to racism as anyone else. And as far as the riots, people are only rioting because they are bored from being at home because of the coronavirus and it is wrong for them to even be protesting. 1.) If the man who was killed by the police didn't do something he wasn't supposed to he would still be alive today. 2.) If a white man is killed by a cop it is called "justice" and not racism. 3.) The fact that they could possibly be spreading the coronavirus and affecting the lives of others is wrong. In my opinion if people are going out and ignoring the precautions that are set in place to protect people and end up getting someone else sick and they die, then they should be held accountable for negligence that costs someone their life. In conclusion, I don't think she is the girl for you if she is making you feel bad over something you didn't do

Appreciate the time you took to respond but I really don't agree with a lot of the points you made. This isn't a debate about the validity of BLM but more the way in which it is affecting the way in which me and my girlfriend interact.
Wow, that sounds pretty grim. If this is what she really thinks of you then you need to end the relationship.

Have you tried having a conversation with her about this?

Can you create your own thread please? This is not the time and place to have a debate about BLM **** sake.
Reply 12
She sounds racist as **** pal, you don't need her
Appreciate the time you took to respond but I really don't agree with a lot of the points you made. This isn't a debate about the validity of BLM but more the way in which it is affecting the way in which me and my girlfriend interact.

I understand that completely and I'm not very good at getting my point across because I get distracted and it just snowballs. But what I was trying to say that id she is trying to guilt you and make you feel bad over something that you had nothing to do with then maybe you should rethink being with her. I have had this problem with some exes because I am Norwegian and I live in the US and they called me a Commie and that I am the reason why the US is ****ty. It only got worse. Just be careful

Hi please ignore the racist white guys!!

i’m not black but have very proud black friends who are amazing lovely girls, but also very passionate about their race!! It’s lovely that you do acknowledge your privilege and all i can say is you should say this to her.

Tell her you care about her heritage, you understand your white privilege and you get the jokes about her ancestors etc but it’s becoming upsetting because you love her and just want these jokes to stop. As long as you/your family are open to her, understanding and have some intelligence you’ll be able to converse about her daily and institutionalised struggle. But what is not okay is she taunts you about it as if you are not on her side, or as if you are not what she wants. It seems that she is insecure in herself, she probably feels that dating outside her race means other people judge her as a traitor and this is honestly so difficult to deal with. Other people of her minority and her family are probably very keen on dating their own culture (understandably) but that is NOT your problem. If she wants to play into those backwards and weird stereotypes than she is free to leave you and date someone black! She either gets over this insecurity and stops projecting on you or she stops making these comments

Love

You are begging to be oppressed lmao. White people babe never experienced racism because the world is tailored to their favour. All lives can’t matter if black lives matter.

Please get your gcses next time
You are begging to be oppressed lmao. White people babe never experienced racism because the world is tailored to their favour. All lives can’t matter if black lives matter.

i mean until black lives matter lmao***
Hi please ignore the racist white guys!!

i’m not black but have very proud black friends who are amazing lovely girls, but also very passionate about their race!! It’s lovely that you do acknowledge your privilege and all i can say is you should say this to her.

Tell her you care about her heritage, you understand your white privilege and you get the jokes about her ancestors etc but it’s becoming upsetting because you love her and just want these jokes to stop. As long as you/your family are open to her, understanding and have some intelligence you’ll be able to converse about her daily and institutionalised struggle. But what is not okay is she taunts you about it as if you are not on her side, or as if you are not what she wants. It seems that she is insecure in herself, she probably feels that dating outside her race means other people judge her as a traitor and this is honestly so difficult to deal with. Other people of her minority and her family are probably very keen on dating their own culture (understandably) but that is NOT your problem. If she wants to play into those backwards and weird stereotypes than she is free to leave you and date someone black! She either gets over this insecurity and stops projecting on you or she stops making these comments

Love

Thank you, it just feels difficult to bring up any personal discomfort I find with the way she brings up the taunting in the face of the greater and more legitimate struggles she's angry about.

Black people are partly the source of their own racism considering the fact that if anything happens to a black man or woman they cry racism even if it wasn't racially driven
i mean until black lives matter lmao***

Some of the best people I know are black and they are very close to me but just because they are black doesn't mean they are any more or less privileged than any other race. Yes, I understand that there are some ****ty and awful people in the world (no matter what race they are) but it doesn't help that whenever something happens they say it was racially driven

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending