The Student Room Group

How do I overcome fear parents judging me for being in a relationship?

I grew up with very strict parents that if I defied in any way would resort to hitting me with sticks/belts and even for little things like bad handwriting.

Fast forward now and I'm 20 ideal age to try out dating, however I have this fear thats preventing me from trying to find a gf. When my older sister was 17 she secretly had a bf and my parents beat her because of that. Now I know I'm much older and I dont think they'd hit me but i feel as though they'll not approve of it at all.

Also im an international student and my dad literally gave me an ultimatum saying I shouldnt date people of other ethnicities....I never defy my parents but it's hard being denied such freedom yet I really dont want to disappoint them
Your parents are abusers. Don't tell them. Move out and become financially independent from them, it's your choice whether to forgive them after that or to cut them off. Hell you might not even take my advice. For your safety please do not say anything
I hope :troll: :frown:
Original post by physicsamor
Your parents are abusers. Don't tell them. Move out and become financially independent from them, it's your choice whether to forgive them after that or to cut them off. Hell you might not even take my advice. For your safety please do not say anything

I hear you but I was raised being beaten and it seemed, like a normal thing at the time. I think i just need to be financially independent otherwise its not worth the risk
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I hear you but I was raised being beaten and it seemed, like a normal thing at the time. I think i just need to be financially independent otherwise its not worth the risk

oops accidentally hit anonymous
Original post by bvllvh
I grew up with very strict parents that if I defied in any way would resort to hitting me with sticks/belts and even for little things like bad handwriting.

Fast forward now and I'm 20 ideal age to try out dating, however I have this fear thats preventing me from trying to find a gf. When my older sister was 17 she secretly had a bf and my parents beat her because of that. Now I know I'm much older and I dont think they'd hit me but i feel as though they'll not approve of it at all.

Also im an international student and my dad literally gave me an ultimatum saying I shouldnt date people of other ethnicities....I never defy my parents but it's hard being denied such freedom yet I really dont want to disappoint them

Oh boy, it sucks to have racist parents.

Do what makes you happy, you don't have to inform them of your life choices. Best to wait until you are totally free and independent of them so they cannot control you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending