The Student Room Group

Going from obese (94kg) to a healthy weight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gigaberry
Can you recommend any good recipes? I'm very curious about this. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate, I can live without it, but sometimes the cravings pop up :biggrin:

Do you have any food allergies or ingredients you prefer to avoid consuming?
Original post by londonmyst
Do you have any food allergies or ingredients you prefer to avoid consuming?

Nope I'm open to everything!
Original post by silverflowers
Aww thank you! I really hope that I can actually manage this, and I'll try my best to lose enough worthy of posting updates about!

You don’t have to wait to actually lose the weight to put updates up!! You can just talk about what you’re doing each day like it’s a blog :smile: it might also help you feel more accountable for it if you blog about it each day and we’ll all be here to support you! 😊
Nope I'm open to everything!

Below is a simple truffle recipes for 30 vegan chocolate almond truffles.
My friend Kelly uses a very tasty white choco truffles recipe for special occasions that include a lot of dairy, sugar and shop bought basic white chocolate- let me know if you are interested in trying it out.

30 choco almond truffles

Ingredients:
30g cacao powder (can also use cocoa powder)
80g raw almonds
340g medjool dates (around 18-20 dates)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Instructions:
1) Place all the ingredients in a food processor, process for 2-3 minutes, until a sticky dough ball forms.
2) Roll 2 teaspoons of the mixture into balls.
3) Place in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4) If intending to store, keep in the fridge for no longer than 5 days.
5) Don't freeze or allow the container to come into close contact with any ice.
Below is a simple truffle recipes for 30 vegan chocolate almond truffles.
My friend Kelly uses a very tasty white choco truffles recipe for special occasions that include a lot of dairy, sugar and shop bought basic white chocolate- let me know if you are interested in trying it out.

30 choco almond truffles

Ingredients:
30g cacao powder (can also use cocoa powder)
80g raw almonds
340g medjool dates (around 18-20 dates)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Instructions:
1) Place all the ingredients in a food processor, process for 2-3 minutes, until a sticky dough ball forms.
2) Roll 2 teaspoons of the mixture into balls.
3) Place in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4) If intending to store, keep in the fridge for no longer than 5 days.
5) Don't freeze or allow the container to come into close contact with any ice.

Thank you! The white chocolate recipe would be cool too!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you! The white chocolate recipe would be cool too!

20 white choco truffles

Ingredients:
400g good quality white chocolate
200ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar

Instructions:
1) Use a medium saucepan to gently heat the cream until it is steaming and hot to the touch.
2) Pour the chocolate into the pan with the cream and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
3) Gently stir the mixture until smoothly melted together into a thick ganache.
4) Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until cold and firm.
5) Use a teaspoon to scoop up cherry-tomato-sized balls of the white choco mixture.
6) Roll the scoops around until they are the preferred size and shape.
7) Dip and roll the truffles around in the icing sugar to give them a light dusting.
8) Keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
9) If intending to store until serving at a special event, store in an airtight container for no longer than 7 days.
10) Do not freeze.
20 white choco truffles

Ingredients:
200ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar

Instructions:
1) Use a medium saucepan to gently heat the cream until it is steaming and hot to the touch.
2) Pour the chocolate into the pan with the cream and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
4) Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until cold and firm.
5) Use a teaspoon to scoop up cherry-tomato-sized balls of the white choco mixture.
7) Dip and roll the truffles around in the icing sugar to give them a light dusting.
9) If intending to store until serving at a special event, store in an airtight container for no longer than 7 days.
10) Do not freeze.

:biggrin:
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, it's not uncommon to regain weight very rapidly, particularly if you've got the mindset of 'throwing the towel in', so to speak (which a lot of people who've fallen off the wagon do). Have you heard of the Stages of Change model? It's this:

the-stages-of-change-2794868-01-1cbf04c4db034a809663a7db18a47921.png

It's very relevant in behaviour change where food is concerned (and a lot of other habit-based behaviours too). It's important to note two things from it. Firstly, that you can enter and leave this cycle at any stage. Secondly, and more importantly, relapse is a normal part of behaviour change. People often think that 'failing' at something means you can't do it again, or can never do it 'properly', but it's important to note that relapsing is a normal part of successful behaviour change. Look at what you could learn from your last weight loss cycle and see how you might do things differently to make it better. For instance, is there anything you could do to move your thinking away from how much you currently weight to how much you could weigh, basing that on the evidence of what happened before. Do you have any of your 'thin' clothes still? Hang them up and use them as a motivation - you will get back into them.

Thanks for sharing that graphic, it's really helpful. I definitely do need to learn that mindset that it's okay to have relapses, and I am looking at what I can do to be better this time. I actually don't really have many smaller clothes, I've been overweight since being about 12 and I never got around to buying new clothes when I weighed less, I do have a pair of trousers that I bought and never fit me that I will try and fit into, and I also want to fit back into one of my older school skirts (even though I won't ever need to wear it again).
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hey :smile: I'm 5'8 too and have gone from 78kg (overweight) to 64kg (bang in the middle of ideal BMI). I was 74kg at Christmas and just hit the 64kg so I lost the 10kg gradually over 7 months. I've used My Fitness Pal to keep track of what I've been eating. Sadly there's no easy way to lose weight than to eat less calories than you burn. Try going 500 cals under what you burn e.g. if you burn 2,000 cals, eat 1,500 - this should equal 1 pound loss a weight on average. Make sure you're eating enough protein too - you don't want to end up 'skinny fat' :tongue: and protein fills us up for longer!

As I'm sure you know, there's no quick long term fix, be consistent and stick with it. Following this thread for updates! Good luck :biggrin:

Well done on your weight loss! That's such a good acheivement. I have tried using myfitnesspal in the past but especially with school food it's difficult to estimate the calories, so I use it as more of a solid record of what I eat and it makes me realise how unhealthy the really unhealthy stuff is, which is probably a good thing. I'll definitely look at eating 500 cals under, I don't think I've heard that before. And yes I'll definitely stay on the protein. Thanks for replying!
Have you considered making your own chocolate and learning how to make a few vegan chocolates?
I drink plenty of water and always recommend this to people who want to either lose weight or consume fewer drinks that include caffeine/sugar/booze.
Drinking unflavoured still water helps keep the body hydrated and avoids falling back into old unhealthy diet habits often involving milkshakes, fizzy & high calorie drinks.

I never actually thought of making my own chocolate?? That's such a good idea. And I'll try and drink more water, I take a medicine which gets me really dehydrated quite easily so it's something I never drink enough of anyway haha
Original post by josie71202
my parents said weight loss is 60%diet and 40% exercise. Also have a lot of lettuce it's surprisingly filling

That definitely seems like a good motto to follow, and I'll try filling up on the lettuce too
Original post by UnwantedKid
More 80% diet 20% nutrition. It's possible to lose weight while beine more or less sedentary with a calorie deficit. Problem is how you look and feel after if you do no exercise/don't do weights but lose weight. Though of course burning more calories through exercise is there too.

Thanks for replying! Hopefully I can find the right balance between the 2!
That definitely seems like a good motto to follow, and I'll try filling up on the lettuce too

also you can put all sorts on it. I sometimes have lettuce instead of crisps
Original post by josie71202
yeah that makes sense

also good on you OP for doing something about your weight

Thanks! I feel like a lot of people assume obese people are really content with their weight, but I think actually it's just so difficult to do something about it and it makes you realise how unhealthy it is, but I'm so glad I'm trying to turn it around
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Good luck!:h:

Thank you!!
Thanks! I feel like a lot of people assume obese people are really content with their weight, but I think actually it's just so difficult to do something about it and it makes you realise how unhealthy it is, but I'm so glad I'm trying to turn it around

yeah we're really proud of you
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
You don’t have to wait to actually lose the weight to put updates up!! You can just talk about what you’re doing each day like it’s a blog :smile: it might also help you feel more accountable for it if you blog about it each day and we’ll all be here to support you! 😊

Thanks! That's such a good idea, and yep I'm really hoping the accountability might help me along
20 white choco truffles

Ingredients:
200ml whipping cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar

Instructions:
10) Do not freeze.

Thanks for both the recipes! I'll try my best to have a go!
OMG i literally weighed the exact same as you start of 2019, i am now a healthy bmi and about 60KG on a good day; here is what i did to loose it over the space of one year!
the only diet that will ever work is calories in calories out, vegan, veggie, keto all great but essentially do not do much, i would highly suggest googling your recomended calorie intake and slowly taking it down a bit every week, being gradual is key so that you are not constantly ravenous ---> that leads to binge eating,

i would also recommend minor intermittent fasting, but gradually build up to a smaller window, at the start my eating window was around 10am - 7pm allowing my stomach to get used to not binge eating late at night, these days i eat my first meal at 11am and last meal at 6pm (7 hour window)

another thing, 1lb = 3500 calories so if you ate 250 calories less than you eat right now and did 5000 steps a day ( based on 0.05 calories per step burnt based on your weight ) thats 1lb a week without having to do much at all!

DRINK WATER big glass every hour and before every meal, curbs cravings and will lessen the amount of food you consume,,

if there is anything else you wanna ask me about my weight loss journey go ahead hope this helps!
Hi guys! Thanks for all the replies, I was never ever expecting this many but it's so helpful and so so encouraging to see that so many people believe in me. Today I weighed myself, and I'm so happy to say that I've gone down from 94.2kg on the 31st July to 93.5kg today! I wasn't even expecting to have lost any weight because I wasn't thinking about it at all in the last weekish but I'm so proud! I'm not expecting every few days to for my weight to just continually decrease, but it's a start!

Quick Reply

Latest