The Student Room Group

How to overcome gym anxiety?

It’s not so much anxiety about whether I’m doing things wrong it’s more about people in general judging me, most specifically boys.

I usually go cardio but like to do the leg press etc and that area of the gym has lots of handsome boys and it makes me so anxious that they’re judging me/ think I’m ugly.

I’m not overweight or anything but the thought of working out and looking sweaty and ugly in front of reallg good looking people terrifies me and I just feel awkward and feel like I can’t do my exercises to the best of my ability cos I’m constantly worrying about the boys.

Also for the leg press some men have offered to help out the weight on for me cos it’s really heavy and I’m grateful for that and if shows most people are nice at my gym but still it really stresses me out
honestly i was the same but just stop caring!! these people will not even think about you in a weeks time so what's the point of feeling weird about it? I used to go the gym a year ago and i can't remember a single person there (i went for 6 months) except from my friends.

just plug your music in, maybe bring a friend and do it together. also a lot of people at the gym feel the same way, even the attractive people. they go to the gym because they're worried about their self-image and their health so just don't feel weird about it. we're all in the same boat! just be yourself and use the money you spent on your membership well, else you'll regret it
I can assure you, no boy looks at you the way you think they do.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
I can assure you, no boy looks at you the way you think they do.

That’s my point. Of course I don’t think they’re actively looking at me. I’m worried they’ll see me sweaty and think ew gross’
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth
honestly i was the same but just stop caring!! these people will not even think about you in a weeks time so what's the point of feeling weird about it? I used to go the gym a year ago and i can't remember a single person there (i went for 6 months) except from my friends.

just plug your music in, maybe bring a friend and do it together. also a lot of people at the gym feel the same way, even the attractive people. they go to the gym because they're worried about their self-image and their health so just don't feel weird about it. we're all in the same boat! just be yourself and use the money you spent on your membership well, else you'll regret it

Thank you so much- I’ve never thought about it like that but so true that everyone is in the same boat pretty much! Haha yeah it’s not a cheap membership so better put it to good use :smile:
Original post by mathematicsgir
That’s my point. Of course I don’t think they’re actively looking at me. I’m worried they’ll see me sweaty and think ew gross’

That is what I am referring to and who cares if they think ew gross. Everyone is sweaty at the gym.
Literally just focus on you as I promise everyone is doing the same and everyone in the gym has been in that place before, I just displace myself from the environment and focus on just myself whenever I’m anxious about doing anything in an open space in the gym

Quick Reply

Latest